Talking to MIL about baby names and she got slightly rude... What would you have said or done?

Dh and I were at target and we ran into his mother. We were looking at baby name books. She started looking at them too. She looked up her kids names and read the meaning then she looked up my name(courtney) and said.. Yeah well your name is just a fad name like Brittney and Ashley its not even popular anymore. People just named their kids those names because they were popular at the time. I was like obviously not because my Mother still loves my name. A lot of people have my name and their mothers love their name too! then she just started getting all snippy... "yeah well I didnt name my kids after fads" Ooh i wanted to scream at her YOUR KIDS HAVE FUGLY NAMES! my poor DH hates his name. CARL EUGENE... omg he hates it... and his sisters name is Roberta.. eew! Roberta and Carl! I would never name my kids those terrible names. Of course I didnt say anything cause I didnt wanna make DH feel bad or anything. then came

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 1:06 PM on Dec. 19, 2009 in Just for Fun

• Criticism on the names DH and I liked for OUR child. No kidding every name she had to bash! Ugh I wanted to slap the shit out of her… She has always been this way toward me though. When DH told her he was going to propose to me she said “:/Are you sure?” No ‘congradulations!’ or ‘omg im so happy for you’… All the things my family said! Nope she said “are you sure?” rather snidely… anyway what would you have said or done? And is it okay to tell DH I don’t want to be near her because she treats me this way?
    Anonymous

• Tell him how you feel, don't talk down about his mother or anything like that, just tell him that she irritates you with her comments and that you aren't comfortable being around her. Maybe he will talk to her and she will come around. If not ( she might not my MIL of over 3 years still hasn't) then just ignore her and stay away as much as possible.
    BlainesMommy09

Answer by BlainesMommy09 at 1:10 PM on Dec. 19, 2009

• LOL. Oh, that's awesome. Carl Eugene. Sorry for your DH. My parents were all huffy that we didn't give our kids "theme" names. All starting with the same letter and whatnot. No, it wasn't for us. My parents named all their kids and pets names that started with G. Their names started with G. Cool. But not for us.
    apexmommy

Answer by apexmommy at 1:17 PM on Dec. 19, 2009

• I am glad you bit your tounge! MIL--UGG, I am so over mine I could scream too, but I don;t have to see her too much and she does love my DH and DS, so I just grin and bear it and have a glass of wine after spending the day with her, LOL--By the way My MIL wanted us to name my son Albert, yes like fat Albert, umm, no! Good luck
    kimigogo

Answer by kimigogo at 1:20 PM on Dec. 19, 2009

• My MIL came up with tons of weird names too, one was Chavez, Which might have been fine if my babies were Hispanic but they are very white. I just had to laugh when my DH would tell me the names she came up with!
    SuzyQ1985

Answer by SuzyQ1985 at 1:21 PM on Dec. 19, 2009

• Carl and Roberta? Seriously? It's not you, its her... I'd tell DH how you feel about her constant negativity
    Shyma

Answer by Shyma at 1:23 PM on Dec. 19, 2009

• I didn't care what my grandson was named, I was just so glad to be getting a grandson and that they would be living near. His middle name is Artoo after R2D2, the robot on Star Wars. Can you believe it! His first name is normal.
    Gailll

Answer by Gailll at 1:26 PM on Dec. 19, 2009

• Wow, she was blaming you for your name. She does realize you don't get to choose your own name, right?
    Pnukey

Answer by Pnukey at 1:32 PM on Dec. 19, 2009

• Let her blow her steam. MIL love to voice opinions. Name your child what you and hubby wants and just act like you apprieciate her
    input. At least she cares to be involved even if it is too much! Don't name a child something you are not happy with or you'll regret it.
    whistlemom3

Answer by whistlemom3 at 1:50 PM on Dec. 19, 2009

• haha my son's father's name is carl and he and his mother HATE it. she just named him after her father, and used his middle for his name. omg...your mil is a crack head lol.
    angevil53

Answer by angevil53 at 1:55 PM on Dec. 19, 2009