10 month old won't imitate me!

My 10 month old daughter will not imitate my sounds. I say baba, mama, dada, papa, and she just stares at me and smiles. She has said baba before, and mama when she was mad, but that's it. And it isn't often. Anyone have a child like this that turned out okay?? Her ped said she will reassess at 12 months...but I'm really nervous!! Any tips??

KendalsMom278

Asked by KendalsMom278 at 1:17 PM on Dec. 19, 2009 in Babies (0-12 months)

• my dd was like that. she si now 21/2 and has a vocabof a 4 yr old. dsis the same way. i wouldnt worry yet
    piwife

Answer by piwife at 1:18 PM on Dec. 19, 2009

• Leave her alone and let her progress at her own pace.
    Shyma

Answer by Shyma at 1:18 PM on Dec. 19, 2009

• She is fine. Don't push her

Answer by admckenzie at 1:35 PM on Dec. 19, 2009

• I've never heard of them needing to imitate sounds at that age. I'd find a new doctor, personally... sounds a little ridiculous to expect that.
    LeanneC

Answer by LeanneC at 2:28 PM on Dec. 19, 2009

• my oldest did that. she'd just sit there looking at us like we were the biggest morons on the planet. lol

she came around and is totally normal (as normal as an almost 9 year old can be lol)

stop stressing about it and just enjoy your baby.
    hypermamaz

Answer by hypermamaz at 2:41 PM on Dec. 19, 2009

• my son only says dada uhoo and wow and just started to say BYE and he is 15 months. my pedi said by 12 months they should be saying 4 words. just keep praticing with her. if you say bottle and she knows what that is then you know she is at least comphrehending it. i say riley its night time nad he walks to the steps :) and when i saw go find your cup or book he will bring it to me. get the board book called first 100 words and it will help find easy words...(mama is more difficult) and good luck :)
    rileysmommy831

Answer by rileysmommy831 at 10:18 PM on Dec. 20, 2009