They got 60 votes, abortion limited , CBO says it will lower deficit, thoughts?

Democratic leaders secure the support of Sen. Ben Nelson to provide the 60th and deciding vote for sweeping health care legislation in the Senate, capping a year of struggle and a final burst of deadline bargaining on President Barack Obama's top domestic priority.

Nelson, D-Neb., said he made his decision after winning fresh concessions to limit the availability of abortions in insurance sold in newly created exchanges, as well as tens of million in federal Medicaid funds for his home state.

"I know this is hard for some of my colleagues to accept and I appreciate their right to disagree," he said at a news conference in the Capitol, referring to the abortion issue. "But I would not have voted for this bill without these provisions."

sweet-a-kins

Asked by sweet-a-kins at 1:31 PM on Dec. 19, 2009 in Politics & Current Events

• The Congressional Budget Office estimated the revised measure would lower deficits by $132 billion over a decade, with the possibility of much higher reductions in the subsequent decade.

Forecasters said the bill would expand coverage to roughly 94 percent of eligible Americans under age 65, a total that excludes illegal immigrants.

Majority Leader Harry Reid of Nevada said the measure "will finally level the playing field between American families and the insurance industry."

With Nelson's decision, Obama's Senate allies appear on track to pass the legislation by Christmas, overcoming unanimous Republican opposition and a swirling early winter snowstorm
    sweet-a-kins

Answer by sweet-a-kins at 1:32 PM on Dec. 19, 2009

• can we wager on there being another issue that stands in the way of passing it?
    Anonymous

• Isn't there always...lol

sweet-a-kins

Answer by sweet-a-kins at 1:49 PM on Dec. 19, 2009

• I would have to see the bill before I can judge if it is a good one. No tort reform is a huge issue for me. That would further bring down costs to Americans. This isn't about us though.
    Anonymous

• Sell out and I have contacted him on it too..all because he got some sweet deals..alot have been bribed because otherwise there would be no real reason to vote in favor of the bill it is a lousy bill ..from the things I do know of..and none of them have actually read it themselves to even know for sure wth they are putting upon us...its bs they dont serve us..and I will be sure to remember some may forget but I wont..

We'll see what happens
    tnmomofive

Answer by tnmomofive at 2:38 PM on Dec. 19, 2009

• How many years before this ugrent plan goes in effect? After the next Presidential election? I do know taxes on our income will go up dramatically we are one of the vile wealthy in the country. We are not actually wealthy but since our business earns over a million a year we will have to make some cuts. We only see about 200k but we have 8 kids so we won't cut our living expenses will cut a few jobs. Yeah for Dems.
    Anonymous

• My thought is that only idiots agree to sign onto something they haven't seen or read. Guess we have idiots at the helm. 

Yay us!  Middle class be damned.

I guess Nelson can now join the ranks of the other government w*ores that sell their votes for sweet deals.  Honestly, the way things work in DC sicken me.

QuinnMae

Answer by QuinnMae at 2:59 PM on Dec. 19, 2009

• How would the CBO know in this case? The details still have to be hammered out, they have to merge it with the Congressional bill, and vote on it again. Here is what the CBO says:

The Congressional Budget Office says the bill is expected to cost $871 billion over 10 years--about $23 billion more than its assessment of the Senate's previous version. But since the bill is fully paid for by tax increases and savings to Medicare, it's projected to reduce the deficit by $132 billion over the same time frame.

Notice how the cost goes UP each time? And it's paid for by TAX INCREASES?
    mancosmomma

Answer by mancosmomma at 3:06 PM on Dec. 19, 2009

• The chamber is on schedule to hold a final floor vote Christmas eve.

Yeah, Christmas Eve. Everyone will be in a hurry to get home, no one will read it. Hurrah! *sarcasm*

Anonymous

• mancos most know its a damn joke but obviously we arent being listened to..there are few and far between who are listening at all on the hill to us..Coburn is one who has not backed down if you will take the time to thank him for it
    tnmomofive

Answer by tnmomofive at 3:13 PM on Dec. 19, 2009