I am newly pregnant, should get the swine flu vaccine?

I am not sure if I should get the vaccine or not. I was also wondering if you had to wait until the second trimester to get it. Any advice would be great.

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 1:58 PM on Dec. 19, 2009 in Pregnancy

• definitely something you will have to research and decide on your own. i opted not to get the vaccine but it's a very personal decision every mother has to make
    Anonymous

• I decided to get it I had the regular flu when I was my pregnant with my DS 5 years ago(let's just say I felt like I wish I was dead and actually had to go to the Hospital b/c of it) and I really didn't want to take any chances getting the flu(regular or swine) this time around.But it is all personal choice.
    Anonymous

• I would...
    My son got it with no adverse reactions. My sister had the H1N1 virus and got VERY sick. It's up to you but I'm just telling you from my standpoint.
    LaurenKaye29

Answer by LaurenKaye29 at 2:22 PM on Dec. 19, 2009

• I would research it, ive heard of alot of stories that have to do with mc and the shot so check it out, I was about 5 weeks when I got mine and im fine, but I know getting the flu while preggo is dengerous
    dairyberrys

Answer by dairyberrys at 2:36 PM on Dec. 19, 2009

• I would suggest no, I've heard of alot of mothers miscarrying from getting the vaccine!!!!
    Rachell9503

Answer by Rachell9503 at 2:57 PM on Dec. 19, 2009

• NO don't get it! Research. There have been people who had major disabilitating neurological problems for the rest of their life after taking the vaccine. You should not put your unborn baby at risk. The chances of you getting swine flu are slim 2 none and even if you did, majority of people recover without it ever even getting serious. Wash your hands reguraly..eat well. Pregnant or not I would highly reccomend to STAY AWAY from that shot
    hillma

Answer by hillma at 4:09 PM on Dec. 19, 2009

• I got mine during the first trimester. No problems. You're only not allowed to get the nose-spray version when pregnant.

There's a lot of hype either way. I saw it this way:

The ingredients are the exact same as a seasonal flue shot (only dead h1n1 virus instead of dead seasonal flue virus). I always get the seasonal flue shot without problems (even different European ingredient ones) and my body has always had no issues with them...so I felt pretty safe.

I think the most logical way to approach it would match however you would approach the seasonal flue shot.
    Anonymous

• I didn't get it because I'm a SAHM and I have a low exposure risk...my doc only asked me if I wanted it, she wasn't that passionate about it.
    Anonymous

• I didn't get vaxed and I haven't had a problem. It's up to you.
    heatkab

Answer by heatkab at 6:32 PM on Dec. 19, 2009

• I don't get flu shots. There just isn't enough research on the effects on pregnant women, which it clearly states on the package insert. We'll wash our hands, stay away from sick people, and keep eating healthy to boost our immune systems instead.
    asaffell

Answer by asaffell at 7:57 PM on Dec. 19, 2009