My 6 month old wont eat solid foods at lunch time

My 6 month old eats wonderful at dinner time, around 6 , but wont eat lunch for me around 11-12. I know it's time for him to be eatting more baby foods during the day, so i've been trying to. He just wont eat. I give him lunch at the time i would give him a bottle,but he wont open his mouth,turns away or spits it out. He gets fussy if he's in the highchair to long so i end up giving him a bottle. When i feed him dinner he eats all of it with out a bottle. I don't understand why he wont eat at lunch time. Any ideas on how i can get him to eat??

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 2:15 PM on Dec. 19, 2009 in Babies (0-12 months)

• At 6 months he should just be starting out with food... he certainly doesn't need "lunch"... or "dinner", for that matter, and neither should replace a bottle feeding. Solids are only for play in the first year, human milk or formula should be his main source of nutrition.

Always, always give a bottle before solids and don't worry about how much solids he wants. He's only 6 months. If he just wants to eat solids in the evening, that's perfectly fine. My 9 month old doesn't even eat solids every day, let alone twice a day! :)
    LeanneC

Answer by LeanneC at 2:24 PM on Dec. 19, 2009

• At six months a baby could be just starting solids. Babies don't need to be eating much, a few teaspoons of real food a day. Babies don't have to have cereal, jar food, puffs, or other baby food. They can start with banana, sweet potato, or avocado.

Cereal was "invented" before formula had iron, now most babies get their iron from formula (breastmilk has iron). It was just a way to get iron in a baby.

Babies can feed themselves. Put a little mashed food in front of them.
    Gailll

Answer by Gailll at 2:26 PM on Dec. 19, 2009

• Foods you give infants aren't just for play or practice or anything like that. This misinformation got started from a Canadian baby food manufacturer website. All food you give your baby should be for nutrition.
    Gailll

Answer by Gailll at 2:29 PM on Dec. 19, 2009

• "For play" as in, shouldn't be a significant portion of the childs food intake. Of course the food should be nutritious, but mostly to establish good eating habits. If we waited until they really needed solid food for nutritional purposes, they wouldn't start solids until a year. From 6-12 months solids are a learning experience, human milk or formula should still be the childs main source of nutrition.
    LeanneC

Answer by LeanneC at 2:41 PM on Dec. 19, 2009

• The answer is that he doesn't *need* to eat earlier in the day. He'll let you know when he's ready for more solids... just follow his lead.
    LeanneC

Answer by LeanneC at 2:52 PM on Dec. 19, 2009

• I know all this already. I'm not taking away any amount of formula that i've been giving my son. 99% percent of his food and nutrition is from his formula. Thats not a problem. I'm asking when i do give him baby food what can i do to get him interested in eatting a little bit. He eats baby food good in the evening but not as good earlyer in the day.
    Anonymous

• You can't. If he wants it he'll eat it. If you push it it will cause issues, possibly food aversion. Let it go. He's fine.

Though you could offer real food instead, Jar food isn't as tastey or interesting. Give him foods he can feed himself. Curiosity drives his food interest at that age. Offer bottle first, if he's not hungry he'll likely show more interest. If hungry he will just want to get down to business with milk.  

Read this: http://www.borstvoeding.com/voedselintroductie/blw/engels.html

amileegirl

Answer by amileegirl at 4:31 PM on Dec. 19, 2009

• If he doesn't want it, he doesn't need it. 6 mos is still young. Milk (breast or formula) is fine for most of the time. Solids are experimental, and not necessary yet.

Krysta622

Answer by Krysta622 at 5:18 PM on Dec. 19, 2009

• If he doesn't want to eat it, quit trying to make him. He doesn't need it, especially if he's eating well at "supper" time. Let him have his bottles and don't worry about him not eating a "meal" - he'll eat when he's ready, until then, all he needs are the bottles. Trying to make him eay could have bad consequences down the road.
    Anonymous

• That is fine! Solids fed to babies before they turn one are for the experience of eating them, not nutrition.

Two great books, with differing philosophies, are Baby Lead Weaning www.babyledweaning.com and Super Baby Food www.superbabyfood.com

Answer by rkoloms at 8:33 PM on Dec. 19, 2009