What can my fiance and I do for our Atheist Wedding Ceremony?

We are getting married this summer and are trying to come up with a beautiful, romantic wedding ceremony without the mention of "god", "jesus", "prayers", etc.

We are looking for quotes, poems, song lyrics, etc. for our reading and vows. Anything about LOVE, LIFE, HAPPINESS, FRIENDSHIP, FAMILY, THE UNIVERSE AND IT'S MIRACULOUSNESS, etc. etc. etc.

Any ideas?

Anyone else have a non-religious wedding ceremony?

Thanks for ANY advice moms!

Belle2683

Asked by Belle2683 at 2:27 PM on Dec. 19, 2009 in Relationships

• There are many priests that aren't affliated with a religion, who will gladly take out the religious aspects of the ceramony for you. Look around your area and see what you can find.
    JazzlikeMraz

Answer by JazzlikeMraz at 2:36 PM on Dec. 19, 2009

• thanks!
    Belle2683

Answer by Belle2683 at 2:43 PM on Dec. 19, 2009

• write your own ceremony, there are many sites that have helpful ideas and that way you say what you truly want and what feels right to you.

Many ministers who are not church associated will help you with it or get one of your friends to get their license to do the cermony for you. you could also do the "official" part at the courthouse then make your own ceremony for the big event without having to have an official person there to conduct it and just have someone else lead it.
    3_ring_circus_

Answer by 3_ring_circus_ at 2:45 PM on Dec. 19, 2009

• Priests are ALWAYS religious. I'd suggest having someone you know officiate the wedding. To me the whole point of a wedding is to vow your love for life to God so I don't really understand atheists weddings. If I didn't have a God and wanted a wedding without the love of the Lord in it I would probably go to Borders or Barnes and Nobles and go to the poetry section and read through poems about love. Surprisingly so some of the best love poems I've ever seen I found in a lesbian poetry book in college (I didn't realize it was a lesbian book but it was truly beautiful poetry) So be open minded about the types of books you look at you never know where you'll find the perfect poem and you can of course alter a word here or there to make it relevant to your life. Songs will be easy to find. Most love songs don't mention religion. Since you don't believe in God it opens up your color choices so feel free to have fun with color
    Anonymous

• The whole concept of a white dress is to signify purity and being a virgin. If I weren't religous that'd be the first thing to go and I'd wear a beautiful red dress. Don't feel stuck to the colors. You can and should also write your own vows. It is a very romantic way to show your love to one another. Congratulations on your love and I wish you a wonderful wedding.
    Anonymous

•  To me the whole point of a wedding is to vow your love for life to God so I don't really understand atheists weddings.

______________________________________________

The whole point  of an atheist wedding is to vow our love to each other!  I guess that is why atheists and agnostics have a lower divorce rate than Christians.  Ironic don't you think?

Anonymous

• It's stupid not to want Gods name in your wedding.....How do you think you got here...not from monkeys that's for sure!!!
    Anonymous

• I dont know why I didnt think of this yesterday but what about a handfasting? I have been to several and they are beautiful ceremony's and can be done without mention of any god and they are official as long as the person performing it is legally licensed to perform marriage ceremonies. You could even take bits and pieces of a hand fasting and combine it with what aspects you do like of christian ceremonies. You could really have a lot of fun creating your own unique event :)

I agree a marriage should be about vowing your love to each other, I guess weddings mean different things to different people.
    3_ring_circus_

Answer by 3_ring_circus_ at 3:42 PM on Dec. 20, 2009