• In the Spotlight:

How do I tell my boss I am pregnant?

Im 28 weeks and I just started a new job, I didnt tell them I was pregnant. how do I tell them and whats the worst that could happen?

dani_c

Asked by dani_c at 2:28 PM on Dec. 19, 2009 in Babies (0-12 months)

• Start with, "don't worry, it's not yours" :) Seriously, just tell them. If you're seven months, you probably are showing so I'm sure they aren't completely clueless. Tell them your due date. They can't figure you just becuase you are pregnant.
    Anonymous

• Are you showing yet? When I was pregnant I sent the HR manager an email and I worded it like this: We are pleased to announce we are expecting our first child! This way you make it like a positive thing so they cant get weird on you. Also it's in writing that way. Good Luck!
    MLM0503

Answer by MLM0503 at 2:48 PM on Dec. 19, 2009

• You do NOT have to tell your boss anything. It's none of your boss's business. You cannot be fired for being pregnant btw

Answer by admckenzie at 4:24 PM on Dec. 19, 2009

• Talk to your boss. The boss needs to know when the baby is due. Depending on your job, he/she might need to plan to have someone cover for you while you are on maternity leave. Bosses do appreciate advanced warning. Congratulations! I hope your delivery goes well.
    dustbunny

Answer by dustbunny at 6:30 PM on Dec. 19, 2009

• You need to present your boss with written your plan for transitioning your responsibilities during your maternity leave, your planned availability during your leave, and you plan to transition back to work. Be positive!

Answer by rkoloms at 8:31 PM on Dec. 19, 2009