Is home school okay for kids?

We have a five year old daughter and are thinking with my husband choice “home school” but we aren’t sure if start now or send her to elementary school and start the “home school” when she is ready to middle school. Any experience or advice pls I will appreciate.

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 2:28 PM on Dec. 19, 2009 in School-Age Kids (5-8)

• i would not keep my children from having a social life, and making friends, and interacting with children there own age at any age. i think thats probably the most important part of life. i think homeschooling is very sad for kids.
    PURPULbutterfly

Answer by PURPULbutterfly at 2:34 PM on Dec. 19, 2009

• You can't beat a homeschool education. Children learn at their own pace. It takes an hour or less a day to equal a public school education.

The worst time to send kids to school is when they are grade K-6. There are people that homeschool these grades and then send their kids to school once they are around 12. Studies show that around that age children start being ready for group learning experiences. In some communities homeschooling parents with older kids get together and arrange learning activities for them.

There are homeschooling discussion boards at Mothering Magazine www.mothering.com. John Holt's readings are good to start with when considering homeschooling. He has several books and there are articles of his online.

I homeschooled my three children and they had no problems getting into college. I was a single mother.
    Gailll

Answer by Gailll at 2:37 PM on Dec. 19, 2009

• Homeschool is a wonderful choice, it just depends on your resoning for it. I homeschooled mine for a while and now they are in the local elemeantary. Can't say if we will or won't do it again, but we enjoyed it. It does give you a lot of freedom you just need to make sure you socialize, like join playgroups with other HS kids and play team sports or something. Just do your research on the kinds/costs of curriculum and the rules and regulations for your particular state(some are way more strict that others about homeschooling) and then decide if it is right for your CHILD, not just you. That is the most important thing of all.
    mom2BOYZnDad

Answer by mom2BOYZnDad at 2:39 PM on Dec. 19, 2009

• While my personal choice is not to homeschool, I think if you live in an area where there is a good group of homeschooling moms who teach their children together then it could be a good experience. If you work with a group then your child still gets the social benefits.

I also think if you start public school first then try to switch to homeschool at middle school you will have a battle on your hands, your child will already have friends and likley will enjoy the school environment.
    3_ring_circus_

Answer by 3_ring_circus_ at 2:40 PM on Dec. 19, 2009

• I feel sad for kids that go to traditional public schools. I'm shocked someone would feel sorry for homeschooled kids.

Homeschooling kids can be active in many activities including sports and scouts. Homeschooling groups are very common. It's very easy to homeschool today. Some states offer free homeschooling online if that is the way you want to go.

Gailll

Answer by Gailll at 2:42 PM on Dec. 19, 2009

• I continue to be surprised at other people's assumptions. Kids like to homeschool, they beg to homeschool.

There are at least 3 main groups of homeschooling families. The religious families that may study long hours. The families that use programs and worksheets and other prepared materials and school for long hours. Then there are the fun families - the unschoolers and the families that school an hour or two a day. We were in the last group. It's the only kind of homeschooling I would recommend.
    Gailll

Answer by Gailll at 2:55 PM on Dec. 19, 2009

• Gaill you feel sad for kids who attend traditional public school, yet you are shocked by someone feeling sorry for your home schooled child?

Aren't you just as close minded about traditional school as some people are about home school?

OP both have pros and cons. There is no one best to educate all children. Whatever you choose, you can always try another option later to see what meets your daughter's need best.

maxswolfsuit

Answer by maxswolfsuit at 3:07 PM on Dec. 19, 2009

• I continue to be surprised at other people's assumptions. Kids like to home school, they beg to home school.

No not all kids beg to home school, some thrive in the public school system, some prefer the extra social benefits of dances and clubs. There are many like my son who's IQ is high enough that they require advanced classes that I could not teach. There are also kids like my son who need the extra services offered by the schools for needs such as Aspergers/ADHD and many others, I would be sheltering him by keeping him home. I can give him the social tools for everyday life but some lessons have to be learned with their peers. My Other two love school days and look forward to school. don't generalize that All children beg to home school or like it. My kids would go insane if they had to be home all the time.

Anonymous

• Homeschooling is a great choice for your child if you truly give it the attention it deserves. People who claim it's bad for socialization probably don't understand what socialization actually means.

"so·cial·iza·tion (noun): the process by which a human being beginning at infancy acquires the habits, beliefs, and accumulated knowledge of society through education and training for adult status"

I think good parents are perfectly capable of doing this. Kids who are homeschooled are not locked up at home. That is such a joke! It's actually the public school kids who are locked up all day unable to go to the bathroom, get a drink when needed or move around when necessary. Read some teacher boards on their feelings on the standardized testing and the pressure that they feel. Not all kids' needs are met. The high kids really get the bad end of it because teachers know they'll do fine without the attention
    0123456

Answer by 0123456 at 3:13 PM on Dec. 19, 2009

• I do not think public schools are bad places, but they are absolutely not the right choice for many kids. Most teachers are doing their best, but the inclusive classrooms give them such a huge range of abilities in one class that it's difficult to meet kids where they are and help them develop their true potential.

Good homeschooling allows a child to truly develop a love and thirst for learning and have time to pursue interests that otherwise would be pushed to the side because of the busy schedule associated with public schooling. My child is in gymnastics, piano and art on top of school. He's 5. I guarantee you we would not do probably any of that if he was in school all day. Kids need time to just play. He is doing FAR better than he would be doing in a public school, and we can continue working at the speed he wants.

I LOVE that he LOVES to read, and he has time to do it whenever he wants. I could go on and on.
    0123456

Answer by 0123456 at 3:17 PM on Dec. 19, 2009