My son is always getting into serious fights...

He's not a bully, for sure. He gets angry very easily and he's very aggressive. He fights a lot with other kids and I have no idea what to do. I'm thinking homeschooling...

Today he came home with a twisted arm. He fought with another boy over a PENCIL. I know it's rediculous, what can I do?

(he's 11)

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 2:51 PM on Dec. 19, 2009 in Tweens (9-12)

• Is his father in the picture? Is your son starting these fights? I would punish him and take away his favorite form of entertainment.
    Anonymous

• My hubby and I are not like that. Never even spanked him. We've taken away all his video games and he's not allowed to watch tv for a month. But it's not working. Yes, he usually does start the fights.
    Anonymous

• He starts the fights but he's not a bully. I think he has a problem. Punishment does not teach kids good behavior. It can make behavior worse and make them resent you.

Try starting by reading How to Talk So Kids Will Listen.

You need to accept your child has a problem. Homeschooling may be a good solution if the issue is that the school environment is not right for him. It won't solve everything if the problem is he has bipolar disorder or some other serious issue. I encourage you take him to a child psychiatrist (can write rx).
    Gailll

Answer by Gailll at 3:09 PM on Dec. 19, 2009

• This will sound harsh but it is truthful, he needs to get his azz beat by another kid. That will fix him pretty quick!

But it does sound like this young man needs therapy and perhaps medication. Home schooling him will not solve a mental health issue, why would you even consider doing that instead of taking him to a child psych doc?
    ronjwake

Answer by ronjwake at 3:24 PM on Dec. 19, 2009

• If he has anger issues he may want to talk with someone about that.

Answer by admckenzie at 4:16 PM on Dec. 19, 2009

• counseling?
    Anonymous

• Well if he has anger issues than I would consider talking to him about it.But if he's not the one starting the fights then let him be.See there is this kid in my 11 year old daughter's class he is a complete pervert!!!And he punched his cousin in the face (who is a GIRL) and hitting a girl is WRONG from were I come from and the girl is my daughter's best friend.So I told my daughter is he ever puts his hands on you just give him a good one in the jaw.Well of course I knew she would if he did because she wants to be a professional wrestler.So she purposely tries to annoy this boy to see if he'll touche her.But he won't.But she's got the WHOLE year left.Hahah!So if your son is the one who DIDN'T start the fight let him fight.Of course you need to talk to him about it and try to calm him down.My daughter used to have problems like this too so we thought about hanging a pillow on a piece of string and hanging it on her ceiling so
    CCCurstynn

Answer by CCCurstynn at 5:57 PM on Dec. 20, 2009

• she could punch it whenever she got mad.But w didn't do that.Hahah!
    CCCurstynn

Answer by CCCurstynn at 5:58 PM on Dec. 20, 2009