where to meet someone nice....

I don't drink so I don't go to bars...I tried dating sites but that didn't work...the only guys i find at bookstores are college students (i'm a little beyond that) and guys my dad's age. i'm tired of being the single one in my group.

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 2:59 PM on Dec. 19, 2009 in Relationships

• When you find out, let me know.
    Anonymous

• I met my boyfriend on okcupid.com. I had a hard time meeting anyone, too. I live in a very small town and there just aren't really any places to go to meet men, except bars, which doesn't really work when you want a real relationship and not just to get laid.
    tropicalmama

Answer by tropicalmama at 3:16 PM on Dec. 19, 2009

• I'm in the same boat. I can't tell you where to look but I can tell you where not to look! Don't look at bars, clubs, concerts or anything like that because if you don't drink its very unlikely you'll find someone like you there that will mesh with you. Church can be a good place to meet someone assuming you are religious but you have to go to the right church, one that has a singles group is good. Bookstores and cafes can be good but again you'll probably meet 18 year old guys there. At the park is a very creepy place to meet men. I had a friend who met her ex at a park and he didn't even have kids. Basically most of the men who troll parks for women do this frequently. Kind of gross if you ask me. At work is usually a bad idea although most people do meet their spouses there. The best way from what I have heard is volunteering doing something you believe in. My sister met her DH at the animal shelter.
    Anonymous

• Get inovolved with something you care about. Volunteer with Habitat for Humanity, United Way and other organizations like that. Most people who will freely give of their time are nice people. Also meetup.com has ALOT of social groups. They range from singles groups, just ladies (which could lead to a great match make with someone they know), book clubs, hobbies and the list goes on. Basically just broaden your social spectrum. In my opinion when you enhance yourself and stop looking you meet the best people.
    And I need to take that advice myself on finding good friendships.
    MamaChamp

Answer by MamaChamp at 3:31 PM on Dec. 19, 2009

• what about singles groups at your local churches?
    Anonymous

• have a friend set you up?
    Anonymous

• The grocery store!
    jmpeskie

Answer by jmpeskie at 3:53 PM on Dec. 19, 2009

• i met my husband in a yahoo chat room 10 years ago. i wasnt looking for a boyfriend i was just bored and wanted to talk to someone from my area.
    gothmama91

Answer by gothmama91 at 5:24 PM on Dec. 19, 2009

• I met my husband while I was on vacation in England. 

beeky

Answer by beeky at 5:33 PM on Dec. 19, 2009

• I met DH after he came back from his deployment.
    Anonymous