how soon should a HPT work?

I know they can be used as early as 5 days before your expected period, but I am 8 days late now and I have nearly every symptom there is. I just feel like I'm pregnant, but I've taken 5 tests, all negative!

Becca9

Asked by Becca9 at 3:43 PM on Dec. 19, 2009 in Trying to Conceive

• Generally speaking by now you would have had a positive test. I know there are some rare cases where people dont get a positive result at all with a HPT but those are very rare. If you want to be absolutely certain you can go get a blood test done at the doc. You also may just be experiencing pms symptoms, alot of symptoms of pregnancy are the same as a period. If you really think you are I would go get a blood test, but if it were me I wouldnt get my hopes up, just because I have had that happen to me in the past and I set myself up for disappointment and it sucked.
    Anonymous

• Try to wait three days and then take another one. I know how hard that is, but the best thing you can do is give your body time to build up more hcg if you are pregnant. Taking a test every day can be a waste becuase sometimes peoples levels just dont raise that fast. I know I was 2 weeks late with my dd before I showed a positive result. so wait a few days and then take another test first thing in the morning. If you are still not convinced after that then do like the pp said and go to the doc for a blood test. Good luck!! =)
    Amanduhpanda

Answer by Amanduhpanda at 5:08 PM on Dec. 19, 2009