What do you feed your 9 mon old?

My daughter is ready to stop eating the puree foods, even the kind with just a few chunks. So we bought her the Gerber Graduates dinners which have things like pasta, peas, etc. But, for the little amt they put in there it's over 2 bucks a dinner! Which really adds up if she eats about 2 of them a day. So does anyone out there NOT feed their kids that are around 9 mon pre-made baby food? What do you do?
Just looking for some ideas. Thanks!

jmpeskie

Asked by jmpeskie at 4:03 PM on Dec. 19, 2009 in Babies (0-12 months)

• My daughter never ate baby foods, or cereals, or pureed foods and was never spoon fed.

She started straight onto table foods at 6 months, what we ate in bite sized pieces- using her hands.
    The most fun and natural way to introduce foods.

Google "Baby led weaning".
    ladysavage

Answer by ladysavage at 4:08 PM on Dec. 19, 2009

• I wont buy the Gerber Gimmicks. I cut up zuccinni and squash into bite size pieces and sautee it, or any other vegetables, with Bariila Piccolinni pasta (its miniature sized). Just make sure any raw veggies you cook are well done and mushy until she has more teeth and can chew her food better. I fed my twins multi grain cheerios instead of puffs and gave them all kinds of ripe fruits. If you buy fruit and leave one or two sitting out, they will be ripe in a few days. I bought those netted food holders and put grapes and apples in them. I gave my daughters ripe pears cut up (with skin, its much softer than apple and skin has all the nutrition) healthy cereal soaked in fruit puree or juice to soften it a little bit. I give them mild cheddar cheese. I made my own teething biscuits with ground grains.

This site is my go to for recipes. The teething biscuit recipes are great!

http://www.wholesomebabyfood.com
    YoungTwinMommy

Answer by YoungTwinMommy at 4:21 PM on Dec. 19, 2009

• At 9 mos, my son was barely eating anything besides breastmilk. But I do agree that if your LO is ready for table foods, they don't have to be made by gerber. Just feed them what you have for dinner etc.
    Krysta622

Answer by Krysta622 at 5:14 PM on Dec. 19, 2009

• Why bother with Gerber? By that age she can eat most of what you eat with safety in mind. Just make sure it's cut up in tiny bite size pieces and is soft enough. At 9 months my twins were eating the same spaghetti that I made for myself and my husband, just cut up into small pieces. Steam your own veggies until they're nice and soft, cut them up into baby size pieces and let her go to town. Gerber isn't the only thing babies are allowed to eat.
    cs_1498

Answer by cs_1498 at 4:33 PM on Dec. 20, 2009

• I love the wholesome baby foods website. I've done some of that specifically for them when I've had extra time. Generally I just cook more of the "good foods" I feed my family so there is always a store of stuff she likes. When we get fruit I peel and bake it, like pears and apples and stuff and cut it to bits. Also thawed frozen fruits work great to put on bits of toast and pancakes. I do whole grain cheerios too. They are the best take along distraction ever! I guess anything is really ok as long as it is in peices she can't choke on or is in a net bag (but sophea doesn't really like those) Anything squishy enough really doesn't even have too be so small.
    heavensdaughter

Answer by heavensdaughter at 5:39 PM on Dec. 20, 2009