i just heard on cbs radio that Pope John paul will be dietified.

what exactly does that mean? and how does it get recognized and put into practice by the people?

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 4:04 PM on Dec. 19, 2009 in Religion & Beliefs

• I don't know exactly what that means....but I am looking forward to the answer.
    Anonymous

• I'm with anon :06
    nikkiJ86

Answer by nikkiJ86 at 4:10 PM on Dec. 19, 2009

• Do you mean deified? I don't know who would be making him a god, he was popular, but not that popular. Perhaps he is being made a saint? But, I thought a person had to be dead longer before that could happen. My study of Catholicism is limited though, so perhaps someone here will know better than my half-remembered guesses. Ahh here I found something. Just search your fav. news website for Pope John Paul II & you will get the story. He is "one step closer to sainthood" because "Pope Benedict XVI signed a decree recognizing the late pontiff's "heroic virtues" and declaring him "venerable."

nysa00

Answer by nysa00 at 4:17 PM on Dec. 19, 2009

• They're sending him to Jenny Craig? I think it's a little late for that.
    NotPanicking

Answer by NotPanicking at 4:20 PM on Dec. 19, 2009

• oops. lololol well i guess i spelled that wrong. lol. yes deified.
    Anonymous

• I have sat back waiting for an answer. As a Catholic I am dumbfounded on what you mean. Do you mean beatified maybe? That is the next step in John Paul becoming a saint. He will be Blessed John Paul if a miracle is verified.

Kattykitten

Answer by Kattykitten at 5:34 PM on Dec. 19, 2009

• I really don' t know where the word deified came from because that is just incorrect. Pope John Paul has been declared Venerable by the Catholic Church . To become a saint the church recognizes two types of virtues, Martyrdom and Heroic. Heroic virtues are all virtues aside from Martyrdom. For Heroic Virtue the person must " develop a habit of good conduct that becomes second nature." , there's more but that's a basic definition. Basically the church is saying Pope John Paul was a really good person, not a god.   I'm over simplifying but the idea is he had a high moral standard for himself that he lived by consistently.  There are many steps to sainthood and this in no way says that he will become a saint.

RyansMom001

Answer by RyansMom001 at 6:02 PM on Dec. 19, 2009

• I think the OP has confused "beatified" and "deified". And JPII hasn't been beatified yet - he has been declared venerable as RyansMom explained. According to the Catholic Church all those in heaven are saints, but there is also a process to formally recognize some people with the title "Saint" (it's called cannonization). A summary of the canonization process is here. JPII is on his way through the canonization process - beatification is part of it. No one is "deified" by the Cathoic Church.

eringobrough

Answer by eringobrough at 6:28 PM on Dec. 19, 2009

• Thank you eringobrough for clearing that up.
    RyansMom001

Answer by RyansMom001 at 6:34 PM on Dec. 19, 2009

• It was just on the news that Pope Benedict is heading in the direction of declaring Pope John Paul II a saint.
    Marwill

Answer by Marwill at 6:56 PM on Dec. 19, 2009