My daughter falls asleep in class...

She's 9 and her bedtime is at 8.30. She wakes up at 7.30 in the morning and she falls asleep in class almost every day. How can I stop that?

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 4:14 PM on Dec. 19, 2009 in Tweens (9-12)

• I'd talk to her doctor. She may need a sleep study.

Answer by admckenzie at 4:15 PM on Dec. 19, 2009

• I did the same thing. I had to get a sleep study and was disagnosed with narcolepsy and restless legs.
    lovinthislife08

Answer by lovinthislife08 at 5:02 PM on Dec. 19, 2009

• A sleep study is truly recommended. Does she snore? There are many different sleep disorders that could be diagnosed but most common is sleep apnea, ususlly for children her age a tonsillectomy is needed if it is sleep apnea. The sleep study is non-invasive and you will be able to stay with her overnight during the study.
    kittymontclaire

Answer by kittymontclaire at 5:35 PM on Dec. 19, 2009

• Maybe 8:30 is too late and she needs more sleep. We put our 7 year old in bed between 7:30-8. She just need alot of sleep. Also like the other posters suggested talk to her doctor.
    abelmm2

Answer by abelmm2 at 6:14 PM on Dec. 19, 2009

• Yep - call the doctor.
    Maybe sleep apnea.
    Anonymous

• You could start putting her bedtime earlier by fifteen minute increments, making sure she gets a nice hearty breakfast. What time of the day is she falling asleep? Humans have natural alertness cycles that go in 90 minute increments, and it's normal to be sleep every 90 minutes after you wake up. Especially if school is especially boring.

She might also not be getting quality sleep at night. I would be careful not to force the bedtime thing, turning bedtime into a fight can backfire and make it hard for her to sleep. Instead, maybe have her take some "quiet time" about an hour before bed where she's in her room reading or something. Then lights out.
    MamaSueCongdon

Answer by MamaSueCongdon at 7:09 PM on Dec. 19, 2009

• I'm with the others, definetely talk to her dr so they can rule out allergy, diabetes, and medication, iron, and so many other things.
    My daughter was similar and it was allergies made her tonsils large and she was kicking and moving all night so, no good rest.
    Does she excel in school? If so it could be something as simple as she's bored. Send water bottles to school with her so that when she feels sleepy maybe she can get a drink (our students are allowed to have them on their desk at all times). Perhaps she might need some sort of a snack. Talk to the teacher and I'm sure they'd be willing to try nearly anything to get it to stop.
    Wishing you and her so much luck,
    Lisa
    lisa_ann_p

Answer by lisa_ann_p at 12:14 AM on Dec. 20, 2009

• Talk to her doctor, she may not be getting enough deep REM sleep, or she has sleep apnea or any number of other things that will take a doctor to diagnosis. I wouldn't put her to bed any earlier, she is getting enough hours, it just may be interrupted.

Answer by tyfry7496 at 10:51 AM on Dec. 21, 2009