Are people on the East Coast especially fragile?

Every year, from Canada to about Kentucky, East to West, it snows. Some days, it snows a lot. But for some reason, snow in NYC and Baltimore are considered national news? Why is that? Is there some genetic mutation that makes snow fatal if you live out east? Is the 3" of snow on the Atlantic coast somehow colder or more pointy than the 13" of lake effect snow in Buffalo and Michigan?

I can see having news coverage of snow in NC or El Paso - that's an actual rare occurrence. Why is it on national tv every time it snows in Boston? Cause, here's a news flash, it's going to snow on the East Coast this year, and next year, and the year after, just like it does every year.

NotPanicking

Asked by NotPanicking at 5:30 PM on Dec. 19, 2009 in Politics & Current Events

• Oh NP....dont you know, New york and the east coast is the center of the universe and EVERYONE else are po dunk hillbillies....unless you liv in CA ;)
    momof030404

Answer by momof030404 at 5:32 PM on Dec. 19, 2009

• LOL momof
    tnmomofive

Answer by tnmomofive at 5:32 PM on Dec. 19, 2009

• Someone took their grumpy pill this morning!
    Anonymous

• Bugs me too. We had a raging blizzard already a couple weeks ago, and it barely made even local news. Why? Because it's a normal happening for winter and everyone knows what it's about! Gah.
    Anonymous

• LMAO @ momof!
    ronjwake

Answer by ronjwake at 5:37 PM on Dec. 19, 2009

• I live in a western co of MD. We get 3-6 inches all the time. Today is such a big deal bc we have gotten 12-14 and it is not letting up yet. It is a record breaking snow fall for us-in Dec. We usually get our big snows in Feb and March. I also think it is such a big deal bc it is the weekend before Christmas and it is so bad they closed the malls. My DH works for the county and he went in at 3 and I just talked to him and he said he will not be home until sometime Mon. So it may not be a lot of snow to other places, but this amount, this month is a lot for us-like I said record breaking.
    Anonymous

• LMAO- all of my family have lived in close proximity to the great lakes since they migrated here... a good dusting can't hold a candle to lake effect snow- and btw, it snows in NC every year... western NC.
    i live in coastal SC, so it WOULD be national news if it snowed here. lol
    ObbyDobbie

Answer by ObbyDobbie at 5:38 PM on Dec. 19, 2009

• i live right outside of boston and i hate all the weather coverage its like hmm yea its snowing outside i get it put my frign show back on i hate when they preempt a show jsut to tell me its snowing
    jajamama

Answer by jajamama at 5:39 PM on Dec. 19, 2009

• Well, this is actually the biggest December snow storm in the last like 40 years. Some places already have a foot, and we haven't had a lot of huge snows recently, so it's kind of a big deal. And no, I'm not at all fragile, but my azz is staying home with twenty lbs of flour and butter, and we did pick up an extra gallon of milk. And of course, this is the last shopping weekend before Christmas, so the retailers are freaked.
    lovinangels

Answer by lovinangels at 5:41 PM on Dec. 19, 2009

• I can tell you first hand that for starters, i live in NJ and we hear news from other states on the west coast. whenever theres bad fires in Cali thats constantly on the news and when theres a bad tornado in KY or having snow in TX we hear that too.
    ILovemyson1020

Answer by ILovemyson1020 at 5:42 PM on Dec. 19, 2009