Bad Santa: Gifts that say you’re old, fat or hairy?

Some holiday gifts are forgotten even before the wrapping paper’s been recycled. Others tend to stick in your craw.

From body shapers to Botox, nose hair trimmers to the dreaded Thigh Toner, there are some gifts it’s better to neither give nor receive. Out-of-the-blue self-improvement gifts often relay a not-so-merry message. Happy holidays — you look old! Merry Christmas, you’re getting fat!Or season’s greetings, isn’t it about time you took care of that lady ’stache?

http://www.msnbc.msn.com/id/34438426/ns/health-behavior/

Kiss and tell: Have you given/gotten these kinds of these kinds of gifts? If so, I want to hear about them!

mancosmomma

Asked by mancosmomma at 5:36 PM on Dec. 19, 2009 in Politics & Current Events

• I got the cook book for dummies this was not a Christmas present per-say. It was a wedding / Christmas gift when I first got married (our Anni is Dec 1st) I was like that is two insults in one 1st being I am not a good cook and the 2nd being I am apparently not smart enough for a regular cook book. lol
    Crissy1213

Answer by Crissy1213 at 6:52 PM on Dec. 19, 2009

• Christmas is a Current Event, and I thought I'd lighten things up a bit around here. Let's have some fun.

I'll spill: Back when I was in my twenties I was a thin, trim gym rat. A friend kept buying me lacy, beautiful lingerie, but always way too big (She worked in a lingerie shop, BTW). I would tell her over and over I wore a small, and she would buy LARGE.

I went out and found an absolutely gorgeous, red and black lacy nightie, but it was ENORMOUS. You could have fit a Volkswagon Bug inside of it. I wrapped it up and gave it to her for Christmas. She never said anything, but she never gave me a too-large size again. LOL
    mancosmomma

Answer by mancosmomma at 5:48 PM on Dec. 19, 2009

• I was the recipient of a gift certificate for a haircut one year. Methinks mother-in-law didn't care much for my long hair.
    Now I'm going to have to think long and hard on this to remember if I've been guilty of being a Bad Santa. lol
    ErikaRobin

Answer by ErikaRobin at 5:57 PM on Dec. 19, 2009

• My FIL gave my MIL one of those Ab machines and a thigh master.  She was pretty annoyed.  lol 

Anonymous

• DH gave me a really good wrinkle cream for Christmas last year. Admittedly, I did ask him for it.

Oh, I had a boyfriend once that gave me a video game for his game player. No so subtle I guess. Never mind that I never played video games. We didn't end up working out - big surprise.

QuinnMae

Answer by QuinnMae at 6:20 PM on Dec. 19, 2009

• I had a neighbor with terrible BO.  For Christmas one year, I gave him one of those gift sets w/ scented body wash and cologne.  From the smell of him the following year, I was definitely a BAD SANTA and the gift was never used. Phewww!

Anonymous

• Crissy, lol! My soon-to-be MIL gave me some household items just prior to my wedding, and then told me "But you have to give them back when you get divorced". Thanks for the vote of confidence, lady!
    Anonymous

• Deodorant. My grandmother always gave us deoderant. We always wondered just how badly we all smelled.
    jesse123456

Answer by jesse123456 at 7:02 PM on Dec. 19, 2009

• My Grandma was a big toothbrush giver. Like a six-pack for each child. I always thought that she was just being practical, but perhaps she was terrified or our oral hygiene. : )
    Anonymous

• One year I was a Bad Santa by accident. I was giving all my nieces and nephews gift certificates for Christmas. I wanted them to be a surprise, and I had these little sample soaps in boxes. I opened the boxes, tucked the gift certificates around the soap, and then wrapped them up.

What I DIDN'T know was my nephew's parents had been nagging him about BO. When he unwrapped the the bar of soap, he was really hurt! Don't know if the gift certificate quite made up for it. :-(
    mancosmomma

Answer by mancosmomma at 7:17 PM on Dec. 19, 2009