FIL and hatespeech... I'm really bothered by it, what should I do?

My FIL is driving me crazy. Thank GOD he lives in New York and I live in Arizona. He is so awful when it comes to homosexuals. He lives and breathes hate for them. He won't watch shows on TV if one of the actors is gay. He just sent my husband a text message saying "You should watch this show on the History Channel... it's really good except for the part about AIDS and the f*ggots."

When he's in my home he uses hatespeech. What bothers me so much about this is that it's not a religious thing, he supports abortion. And if he should hate anyone it should be himself. He's a drunkard who lost his kids to social services for abusing and neglecting them. He's chosen the bottle over his family over and over again, and it just drives me BATTY that he can hate someone because of who they love, but feel totally fine with abortion and being a no good drunk.

What should I do?! I can't stand him because of this!

Ati_13

Asked by Ati_13 at 5:39 PM on Dec. 19, 2009 in Relationships

• I'm outspoken at times so I'd likely say something like...
    You know what I really hate??? People that are so narrow minded that they can't see past their own nose. And that I feel sorry for them because it only shows how little they think of themselves that they need to hate someone else that they don't even know to make themselves feel better about themselves.
    or..
    I'll have to say an extra prayer for you tonight to help you deal with all of your anger and hatred.
    lisa_ann_p

Answer by lisa_ann_p at 10:17 PM on Dec. 19, 2009

• He is has his own opinion and unfortunately it is an ugly one. My MIL is the same way, but she knows not to say disrespectful things in my home. When he is at your house next time, tell him politley to not speak that way in your home, and if he can't respect that then he doesn't need to come over. Especially with what looks like a baby in your home, I am sure you don't want your children brought up with that kind of view of human beings. I know it is frustrating....also with the txts, just respond saying that you don't agree with his hatred and would p[refer not to be involved with it. Good luck!
    mammacita9

Answer by mammacita9 at 5:48 PM on Dec. 19, 2009

• I would tell him that when he is around my kids that he cannot behave that way and if he does he is no longer welcome.
    truealaskanmom

Answer by truealaskanmom at 6:43 PM on Dec. 19, 2009