Are we obligated to call our parents?

Do you think it's our job to call our parents and see what's up with them or should it be about equal? My dad acts like I neglect calling him when he is perfectly capable of calling me. I'm busy, but for the most part, we don't carry good conversations. I'll call if things arise, like when our 2nd child was born but not to have casual chitchat. So how about you? Do you expect your parents to call you, do they expect you to always call them?

aluvk4evr

Asked by aluvk4evr at 5:47 PM on Dec. 19, 2009 in General Parenting

• you've got to be kidding me!! you are really asking that? your too busy to call your own father?!!! thats sad
    ILovemyson1020

Answer by ILovemyson1020 at 5:49 PM on Dec. 19, 2009

• Be happy you still have your parents & they are healthy enought to care. Can't you take a few minutes out of your day to just check in? Take the high road & don't be so petty.
    Anonymous

• I say both. We shld call them but they shld also call us. I talk to my mom everyday but my dad not so much. He is re married and my step mom isn't exactly the social type. He also works though. He owns his own business so I don't get upset if I dont hear from him that often bc he is also busy. I wld tell your dad how you feel.
    MLM0503

Answer by MLM0503 at 5:51 PM on Dec. 19, 2009

• I think it should be equal. But if you are busy you are busy and when it is more convenient you call him. It is rough when you can't really hold an actual convo...I am like that with some relatives...I just call to say "hello, how are you doing" and tell them "oops I have to go" but I secretly hope they don't asnwer....I actually hate talking on phones.
    mammacita9

Answer by mammacita9 at 5:51 PM on Dec. 19, 2009

• Unlike the PP I dont think it is sad. Yes we get super busy and space out on calling, but no our folks dont expect a call. LOL My MIL will call us if she really needs to talk to us. We talk to the folks a couple times a week. Usually every other day. We both make the effort not just my husband and I. Now grandparents we call. We do not expect them to even remember LOL. So we do the calling when it comes to them.
    Mrs.Owen86

Answer by Mrs.Owen86 at 5:53 PM on Dec. 19, 2009

• Do you call & text your faiends all the time?
    Anonymous

No, We dont. I cant tell you the last time I actually talked to my best friend. She is in NC and Im in Vegas,. We are both busy.
    Mrs.Owen86

Answer by Mrs.Owen86 at 5:56 PM on Dec. 19, 2009

• If you have a good relationship you should call. They did EVERYTHING for you for years. You should take the time to call and make them feel appreciated and loved.

Yes, it would be wonderful if it was 50/50.... but you should call on a regular basis even if it isnt.
    Anonymous

• I think that parents are adults just like we all are so they should know and understand that life now days is busy, when I think of them I try to call and I would expect the same. Obviously they think of you and it isn't too much to ask them to call you when that occurs. A lot of parents think that they are owed for raising their children. I call BS!!! I raise my children because I chose to have them, and that is what parents do, I will never expect some form of repayment for doing my job. When they are adults I am sure I will bug the crap out of them calling all the time, I don't expect for them to cater to me all the time that is stupid. Adults should act like adults.
    truealaskanmom

Answer by truealaskanmom at 6:08 PM on Dec. 19, 2009

• I had great parents and can not think of a reason I wouldnt call them on a regular basis to check in no matter how busy I am. That would simply be rude. My mother didnt raise me that way. It wouldnt matter to me how often she called because Im not a tit for tat type of person who has to keep score.
    Anonymous