How long did it take you to get pregnant?

I am 33(in Jan) and I have a 2 yr old. We've been trying for 2 months to get pregnant, but nothing. I guess I'm worried because I feel like I got pregnant the first time we tried with my first. Is it pretty normal to have unprotected sex alot and not get pregnant for a few months? (I have not been on any BC, he was just pulling out before we decided to try for number 2)

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 6:09 PM on Dec. 19, 2009 in Trying to Conceive

• I am 26 and it took us four months to get pregnant this time, and the first time it was a rare occasion of unprotected sex. I was worried about it after month 2. What we figured out with an early ultrasound is that I don't always ovulate the 14th day, this time it was more like the 21st day, so I would say continue your activities later in your cycle just in case your ovulation bounces around and you are unaware. I got false positive ovulation test results that is my advice
    truealaskanmom

Answer by truealaskanmom at 6:13 PM on Dec. 19, 2009

• OP here, thanks for the reply, that makes me feel better. We, well he actually, just picked up an ovulation prediction kit today. So, does the kit tell me if I'm dropping an egg? That's the part I'm confused about? Because we literally have sex like every other day, so I know we must have while I was ovulating. 

Anonymous

• Ok here is my advice is the kit with caution. I used them and did end up pregnant but I think we actual did it on a day that was a 'horny' day and wasn't planned. Also the sperm have to get there, and that doesn't always happen. I did a bunch of research. Have him drink coffee before hand it excites the sperm and helps the journey. The test will show your hormone surge before you ovulate after you get 2 same lines or the test line darker you are supposed to ovulate within 36 hours so do it like bunnies, but then after that keep up the every other day. After the deed is done put your head on a pillow on the floor so that you help the sperm with gravity and sit that way for 5 mins it is uncomfortable but I think it helps. Do not shower for at least 4 or 5 hours, and dab when you wipe in the bathroom. Also if you man has a sport or something that gets him all manly have him do it. It boosts sperm production.
    truealaskanmom

Answer by truealaskanmom at 7:59 PM on Dec. 19, 2009

• Also rear entry gets the sperm closer to the target, also if he can put his tip up against the opening in your cervix and not move while ejaculating that helps. I hope this helps you.
    truealaskanmom

Answer by truealaskanmom at 8:00 PM on Dec. 19, 2009

• It took me 3 months but I have friends that have taken over a year to get pregnant! You are fine, just remember to enjoy it & don't treat it like a job. I think people get stressed & start feeling like they have to do it, it adds stress & therefore longer to get pregnant! good luck!
    Anonymous

• 2 months is not a long time. It takes the average couple 1 year to conceive, 6 months can be typical of really healthy women. I also have freinds that have been trying for years. Unless you are timing it perfectly when you ovulate I wouldn't expect to gert pregnant right away
    Anonymous

• it took 4 months for our first. We are TTC again. working on month 2 as of now with still a single lonely test line. heh
    Super09Mom

Answer by Super09Mom at 11:08 PM on Dec. 20, 2009

• 3 months with DD ( we didn't really try the second month) and we got preggers the first month with this one. We had a lot of sex during my most fertile times. Try to orgasm after he does. I hear that can help suck up the sperm. I also heard that full fat dairy may help (but I don't recall as to "why" and the evidence only sorta kinda points to it being helpful).
    MotherofIreland

Answer by MotherofIreland at 11:40 PM on Dec. 20, 2009

• Our first was a surprise--It was a one time-no BC-and broken condom situation. We have been trying for 4 months for baby number 2. I bawled this morning when I starting my period. It's getting so frustrating! I was on Birth Control for...3 years prior, and just went off BC in August. I keep hearing that after being on Birth Control it can take up to a year to conceive. I don't have the patience for that, but I don't have much control I guess. My hubby just tells me "it'll happen when it's supposed to happen" and I guess he has the right idea. Good Luck!
    Anonymous

• i am also trying to conceive my first baby. my husband and i are 34. we've been trying for four months. for two months now, we've been using an ovulation prediction kit (clear blue easy, works great).

our plan for next month is to begin trying a few days before ovualtion (since sperm can live for a few days in the woman's body) and keep trying while i am ovulating. b/c of our age, and b/c we may want to have more than one baby, we may visit a specialist before the one-year mark.

am trying to be patient and not get frustrated. this whole thing is sure teaching me to be patient and that i cannot control things. sigh. it'll happen. :)
    writergirl75

Answer by writergirl75 at 12:36 PM on Dec. 27, 2009