NC child restraint guidelines?

I CANNOT find a decent website explaining seat selection. I have a 2 1/2 year-old who's nearly as big as my 5-year-old. He's outgrown the convertible we've been using, but not sure if he's old enough to use a booster or if I'm going to have to buy a bigger forward facer.

Slinkee

Asked by Slinkee at 7:18 PM on Dec. 19, 2009 in Toddlers (1-2)

• Where in NC are you? I'm in Apex. There is a good car seat technician nearby, if you're near. Otherwise, you can e-mail her for at least the guidelines. My 2.5 year old is still rf in her convertible, but she isn't big for her age (obviously, that's your issue). I'm pretty sure it's 3 or 4 before they can legally use a booster, but don't quote me on that. Perhaps a harness booster, like a Graco Nautilus, might work. PM me and i can give you more details if you like.
    apexmommy

Answer by apexmommy at 7:20 PM on Dec. 19, 2009

• Britax now make the Frontier. It can be used with a 5 point harness until 80 lbs and as a seat belt guided booster until 100 lbs.
    I have been able to get new ones online for under $200 including shipping and taxes.
    Not cheap but they have a 9 year usage so it pays off over time.
    AussieMum2

Answer by AussieMum2 at 7:24 PM on Dec. 19, 2009

• Hm, well, it doesnt matter what the law states, no child that young is MATURE enough for a booster. Graco Nautilus is $150 at walmart, and it will harness to 65lbs. Britax Frontier is around $219 and will harness to 80lbs. Most states require them to be 4 years AND 40lbs... and that is a MINIMUM... your child shouldnt be.
    Also, if you have high seats or headrests in your back seat, Big Lots sells a carseat called Apex65, its around $80 and it will harness to 65lbs...
    Auntiemom410

Answer by Auntiemom410 at 11:49 PM on Dec. 19, 2009