Moms of all boys, do you share this concern?

A week ago I found out that my 2nd child will be another boy. We don't plan on having anymore kids so I'm trying to come to terms with the fact that I will never have a girl. I love having a son and the idea of raising two boys is exciting to me, but I'm a little concerned about what happens when I get old. It seems to me that a daughter would be more likely to take care of me when I get older than a son would. That may sound selfish, and I know there are always exceptions, but I have noticed that women seem to take a more active role in caring for their aging parents than men do. Is this a common concern among parents of only boys? Am I being silly to worry about this?

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 7:18 PM on Dec. 19, 2009 in General Parenting

• I have three boys, have never wanted a daughter (girls scare me). However, now that we've decided we're only having one more I really want a daughter. I don't know why I have these urges lol, I want to buy all the cute clothes and have someone I can do girly stuff with too. I think that men are better about making sure that their parents are taken care of in their old age....whereas girls are usually more hands on about doing the taking of. (Atleast that's been the case in my family.) Personally, I'd rather have a nurse wiping my butt than my daughter anyway.
    Slinkee

Answer by Slinkee at 7:23 PM on Dec. 19, 2009

• Yes you are being silly, depending on their upbringing, boys will take care of parents they feel gratitude for, stop crossing a bridge before you get there, worry for the here and now for now.

Answer by older at 7:29 PM on Dec. 19, 2009

• I also have 2 boys. The second one we got an ultrasound that said we were having a girl, which was the only one we ever had for that pregnancy. Imagine our surprise when we were told "It's a boy" when he came out! We had all girl stuff.... At least we were living in a 2 bedroom apartment at the time & didn't have a nursery all in pink :)

I've thought about that too, but I am hoping that they will be there for me. I have one that says he loves Iowa too much to ever leave. My main concern is that my DIL's will end up hating me if they don't learn to clean up after themselves or otherwise take care of themselves :)
    Iowagirl69

Answer by Iowagirl69 at 7:47 PM on Dec. 19, 2009

• Well I have one of each. However, my Dh is an only child for his mother. I knew that when I married him that we would be taking care of her when she gets older, as he is all she really has other than her DH. I like her, but I am not looking forward to it, as I don't care for sick people and she and I are very different personalities. Still, I don't expect my DH to just walk away either.

So, my response is... Your sons will most likely step up when the time is right. However, you should also do everything you can now so its not a huge strain on them. I know its hard to save and all that, but planning for that time in your life is a good idea. After that, Pray for amazing daughter in laws and do your absolute best to have a good relationship with them.
    Lesli

Answer by Lesli at 8:03 PM on Dec. 19, 2009

• Honestly, the thought has never crossed my mind....
    heartfrommyson

Answer by heartfrommyson at 8:26 PM on Dec. 19, 2009

• Actually, as the only girl in a house full of boys, I am more concerned with how I will care for my parents without any help. So I see where you're coming from- girls tend to have that caring thing down pat that boys tend to be a bit more squeamish about. But I'm not so worried about my son caring for me as I am about leaving him when I die (not to be morbid, or anything...) I just feel that when the time comes we'll work it out.
    Congrats on your pregnancy and good luck with all of those boy cooties!!! ;-)
    sweetphoenix529

Answer by sweetphoenix529 at 9:43 PM on Dec. 19, 2009

• raise your boys right and you will have no problem.
    Anonymous

I guess what worries me even more is that even if I do raise my boys right I still have to win over their wives. If the wives aren't too thrilled about taking on my care, I'm kind of screwed, and mil/dil relationships are famous for being rather contentious.
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 8:20 AM on Dec. 20, 2009