i have a few questions. How do we know that the popes that have died are in heaven? I thought only anointed christians go to heaven. Are they all anointed? How do we know who's anointed? Thanks.

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 7:22 PM on Dec. 19, 2009 in Religion & Beliefs

• I've been told that if you wonder if you are an anointed one, you aren't. Guess we really won't know for sure until all is said and done. I personally believe none of the popes are in heaven.

Sorry, I know that doesn't help much.
    Anonymous

• The church doesn't talk about anointed Christians. They have a sacrament of the anointing of the sick that is usually done when a person is near death to bring physical and spiritual strength. The Catholic Church will speak of people going to heaven when they die, but they never say a person has been sent to Hell. Only God can judge, so the truth is we really don't know.

RyansMom001

Answer by RyansMom001 at 8:21 PM on Dec. 19, 2009

• "Only God can judge, so the truth is we really don't know."

This. We can't know for sure either way, no matter if it's a Pope or a layperson. We can certainly look at a person's life and judging by that we can be pretty sure, but we can't know 100%
    Anonymous

• From the muslim perspective.. NO one is in heaven.. all dead people go to the grave (whatever grave it is, dirt, ocean, urn) and there they wait.. to be resurrected and judged. If i were a better woman, i'd bet on He's not in heaven.
    Aasiyah

Answer by Aasiyah at 8:38 PM on Dec. 19, 2009

• O.K. as a born again Christian I believe that accepting Christ's death on the cross as payment for our sins is the only way to heaven. I cannot speculate on another person's faith, or lack there of. However, religion and/or "good works" are not going to get a person to heaven. Just being the head of a church, be it catholic or protestant isn't going to do it.
    teamquinn

Answer by teamquinn at 9:17 PM on Dec. 19, 2009

• teamquinn, so if someone accepts christ death you can get to heaven, but if you do good things in your life you wont? there are criminals that accept Christ' death.
    Anonymous

• from a Catholic point of view, only God which souls that have left their earthly bodies are or are not in heaven.
    Kattykitten

Answer by Kattykitten at 9:44 PM on Dec. 19, 2009

• " Just being the head of a church, be it catholic or protestant isn't going to do it. "
    I would be surprised if a Catholic believe being head of the Catholic church or any church is enough.
    Kattykitten

Answer by Kattykitten at 9:45 PM on Dec. 19, 2009

• Anon: "teamquinn, so if someone accepts christ death you can get to heaven, but if you do good things in your life you wont? there are criminals that accept Christ' death."

Yes, you are right. Because the Bible teaches that we are all really criminals. We have all broken God's law. And every one of us has the chance to go to heaven. You can't do good works to earn your way into heaven. You have to humble yourself and admitt your need for forgiveness. Christians do go things, not to earn heaven, but because we LOVE God.

This upsets people because, we don't like to see ourselves as equals (sinners). Most people like to believe that they are better than others, and that God should be impressed by them. That is so prideful. We compare ourselves to others that we think are "worse" than us, to feel good about ourselves.

But the standard is Christ. Are you better than Him?
    Cinnamon-mom

Answer by Cinnamon-mom at 10:28 PM on Dec. 19, 2009

• And this is really special. I just spent the day today in a prison ministering to 400 women. Those women are desperate for God. They know they need forgiveness, hope, and love. And MAN! They LOVE Him. I watched them worship God today. God gives grace.

These "criminals" are special to Him. He has a plan for their lives. And they are luckier than a LOT of people, because they have found HIM. They are my equals in the faith. We are all family. We all make mistakes. We all need forgiveness. But most people are too proud to realize that.

Sorry. This one just hit my heart : )
    Cinnamon-mom

Answer by Cinnamon-mom at 10:31 PM on Dec. 19, 2009