What can I do for him? He's hopelessly addicted to TV

Sometimes he'll go turn on the tv I turn off the tv, or tell him to etc. He always wants to watch tv, Im ok with him watching a little TV like when I am trying to take care of things around the house or take a shower, etc Keeps him entertained (and he watches "educational" shows
but now when he's cranky for some reason I just saw you wanna watch dora? or Thomas? I love Thomas the train engine, or anything related to sesame street and he jumps up with a huge smile on his face, I have to bribe him sometimes with one of his shows to get him to do simple things. He's always signing that he wants to watch TV
I work 8 hrs a day, 4 days a week, and my grandma and my mom watch him during the day, I ahev emphasized that I do NOT want him watching more than 1-2 hrs of TV, for a while I said NO TV AT ALL but I think despite this the TV is on more than 5 or 6 hourse while Im at work.
What can I do to get him un-hooked on TV?

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 8:14 PM on Dec. 19, 2009 in Toddlers (1-2)

• Turn the tv off. Take it out of the living room. Its pretty simple.
    Anonymous

• buy crafts and activities.... or even the dreaded play doh. Get him interested in something else
    Shyma

Answer by Shyma at 8:16 PM on Dec. 19, 2009

• Put your foot down and tell them no tv or you will have to take him elsewhere. Get rid of your tv. My kids were in double digits before they knew a tv could be used for anything other than videos.
    Marwill

Answer by Marwill at 8:16 PM on Dec. 19, 2009

• That's interesting that he is signing. My son also signs as he has a speech delay because of him having Down's Syndrome. Not all kids with DS have a speech delay, my son does. He signs over 160 words. Anyway it is hard, it is tough, but turn it off, get out the playdoh, only let him sit at the table and that be that. It will be hard at first but there has got to be something he has of intrest other than TV although TV is his first choice. Offer those second, and third choice options instead and stick with it. At moms and grandmas house it's pretty much out of your control. I think if you google ADHD or ADD they have connected that with kids watching alot of TV. That was posted in my pedi's office 5 years ago. By now there may have been a study that says no connection. I would check and tell them about that, maybe that will give them more incentive to follow your wishes. Good Luck mama!!!!
    SEEKEROFSHELLS

Answer by SEEKEROFSHELLS at 8:24 PM on Dec. 19, 2009

• Read a book called "Into the mind of babes"...
    Your the parent.... He is 3... Whos in control here?
    TV is LAZY entertainment.. So he is going to love it! He gets to sit & do nothing yet fully engage into fun..
    Play is very important to children! Play helps them learn so much- even when we / they are not aware of it! So just put your foot down.
    The pacy, the bottle, diaper trainer. throwing. sleeping alone, think of all the other things youve had to nudge him into the right direction. This is the same thing...
    MommaTasha1003

Answer by MommaTasha1003 at 9:16 PM on Dec. 19, 2009

• I cant take the tv out (theres one in every room- my room has a parental control lock on it)
    They will not take the TV out of the living room, and swear that it makes no difference if its on cuz "he's not even paying attention' (I am young and still live at home, my grandparents are ignorant and refuse to take in all the knowledge of research and studies done- they think they know better than I about my sons development)

I know I am working hard to get us out of there
    Anonymous

• my dd wateches tv. but every few shoes i tunr it off and we play for that 30 mts. the it goes back on. i dont think tv is that bad. i know what shows are her fav. and what shows she doenst care for. she watches nick jr all day. i also schedule one hr outside. depending onthe wether. i do let her watch tv and moviws but i also do activities crafts, and other stuf wth her.
    piwife

Answer by piwife at 10:37 PM on Dec. 19, 2009

• I think you're overrreacting a bit. He's watching kid shows-it's not as if he's watching "Cheaters" or "Maury".

In my home, the tv is on 24/7. I would be slightly put off if I was watching someone else's child in MY home and they told me that they didn't want their kid watching more than 1-2 hours of tv. They would have to find other childcare arrangements.

I think the research on tv is a bunch of b.s. I grew up watching lots of tv, and I think I turned out just fine.
    Anonymous

• If he's not watching it, why do they leave it on??? That answer drives me nuts. If you need background noise, put on some music.

My daughter was addicted to it, and we only let her watch one or two shows a day. She spent over an hour a day pitching a fit because she couldnt' watch tv. I mean, it was even in the schedule. She never got to watch it until the baby went down for a nap. But she spent 30 minutes each morning acting ugly that we weren't going to watch it.So we got rid of it. Best thing we ever did. I know that's not an option for you.

Maybe just tell them that most kids are talking a bit more by now. Tell them too much tv delays language. I'm sure lots of people watched tons of tv and turned out just fine (despite that being the lamest argument ever), but really, you're the parent, and if he "isn't even watching it" they should be able to cut it off.
    apexmommy

Answer by apexmommy at 12:07 AM on Dec. 20, 2009