Later Talkers: If they weren't talking by 15 months, when did your toddler say their first word/words??

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 8:17 PM on Dec. 19, 2009 in Toddlers (1-2)

• I taught my kids to sign, so they were both slow to verbalize. Once they started, though, there was no stopping them. As long as your child makes it clear that they understand what you are saying you don't need to worry about late talking.
    Marwill

Answer by Marwill at 8:27 PM on Dec. 19, 2009

• There are signs you should be on the lookout for. Do not assume they will talk when they are ready.

Red flags from ages 12-18 months: Avoids eye contact, doesn't say momma or dada., unable to point to common body parts when asked, unable to follow simple one step directions, unless accompanied by a gesture. Like "go get the cup, or roll the ball. Other signs include not waving bye-bye, rarely babbled as a younger baby, or blows kisses. (From Childhood Speech, Languae & Listening Problems, by Patricia McAleer Hamaguchi)

My son was 18 mos. when he was diagnosed with dyspraxia or apraxia and my daughter had comprehension issues. IF you are worried, check, they early problems are caught the better off a child is.

Lesli

Answer by Lesli at 8:35 PM on Dec. 19, 2009

• Mine did not talk until he was four and half. He has autism and was diagnosed at 16 months.
    2autisticsmom

Answer by 2autisticsmom at 8:39 PM on Dec. 19, 2009

• He's fine with everything else, just not the talking. He has pretty good eye contact. Points when he wants something. He understands some words -- he'll go get his sippy cup when asked, he'll bring me things when I ask him to, etc. And he's clapping and always babbling, talking in his own language. So I know he understands some things, he just isn't talking yet.
    Anonymous

• Sorry that should say doesn't blow kisses. My son spent two years in private therapy and then had therapy in school also until he was a seventh grader. But his problem was severe. I also believed they would talk when ready (that's what the magazines say) but my mom was worried. So, one day at a dr's appointment she asked about it and our new ped. was like "What do you mean this baby only says Mama and dada when he cries?" The old ped. had tested him using a test (can't remember the name of it) and the new ped. said in his 30 years of medicine that test had never been helpful. We were at our local Children's hospital a week later.

Lesli

Answer by Lesli at 8:43 PM on Dec. 19, 2009

• Every state has early intervention. Google early intervention and name of you state, EX early intervention Texas. You will get the resources, the phone numbers. Talk to them over the phone, and they come out and evaluate your child, and come to your home for therapy. They will also go to the childs daycare, or preschool. If your child has a delay and is elgible for the program they graduate at 3, and then go to regular school at three --- if YOU want them to go. These services are free in alot of states or at very minimal cost to you. Yes they take insurance. The earlier your child gets help the better. My child was in the program at 6 weeks old, it would of been at 2 weeks but he was in the hospital. That said he might ok. I would also suggest getting his hearing checked. If they want to do an ABR they do not have to be sedated and you tell them that. Schedule appt at naptime, and keep child up late, get up early. PM me.
    SEEKEROFSHELLS

Answer by SEEKEROFSHELLS at 8:45 PM on Dec. 19, 2009

• My daughter is 16 months, and she says maybe 15 words tops. But she gives eye contact, is constantly babbling or immitating things we say, will do things or go get things when asked, and will sometimes try to let me know when she needs help. Her daycare suggested I put her in speech therapy, because of some survey they ran along with their own observations. I opted not to though. My son was the same exact way. He didn't really talk as much as he "should have" until he was around 2 1/2. He's almost 4 now, and you would never know that he was a late talker.
    JDanesMommy

Answer by JDanesMommy at 9:09 PM on Dec. 19, 2009

• Ture story, my brother never said anything but ga ga and baby talk until he was 3 YEARS Old!!!! My parents didn't know what to do, and all of the sudden he started talking in FULL sentences at 3, and now is a PHD, MD, I started talking early and am a hairstylsit, LOL!!! Back then they just said I was doing all of the talking for him, LOL, please call your doc, but honestly you might have a genius! I hope you do!!
    kimigogo

Answer by kimigogo at 9:12 PM on Dec. 19, 2009

• Well by 15mos they should at leaste say a few words. If it is sentences you are talking about then I can tell you my son talked late and it wasn't till he hit 2 that he said actual sentences but he said handfuls of new words daily! At 15mos he said individual words but not as much as others. By 3 his speech was advanced he just talked late. My girls talked younger.
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 2:19 AM on Dec. 20, 2009