Hair question.

Okay so I have medium length hair and lately I have been noticing that I have white flecks in my hair that are kind of greasy to the touch. Like I haven't gotten all the soap out of my hair, though I've rinsed it for well over five minutes. I usually wash my hair in the sink with a hose, so its usually well rinsed. It isn't flaky or itchy like dandruff would be and its not lice, because as I said its greasy feeling and when you touch it, it falls apart. I do not use hairspray, gel, mousse, or anything so its not like its a build up of hair products. All I do is wash and condition it, every other day. Any ideas what it could be?

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 8:26 PM on Dec. 19, 2009 in Beauty & Style

• It is not dandruff. Dandruff has a distinct smell to it. It could be a couple of things. If you do wash your hair everyday, it's your hair trying to produce more oil to make up for you washing your natural oils away so much. Wash your hair every other day and then after a week or so start washing it every two days, and so on and so forth. If you do this long enough, some people can get up to washing their hair once a week and it still looking good after a week. <---Not everyone can go this long, everyone is different. And yes, it is possible, and no, it's not bad. It just really depends on your hair type. Also, your scalp has probably gotten used to the type of shampoo and conditioner that you use. Switch products. But DON'T use panteen, dove, suave, and pretty much any other grocery store buy. Go to your salon and have a consultation with a LICENSED cosmetologist. They pay and go to school and have licenses for a reason. GL
    luckmomto2

Answer by luckmomto2 at 1:06 AM on Dec. 20, 2009

• It still is dandruff. Try using an anti-dandruff shampoo for a week and see if it makes a difference. Also, if you wash your hair everyday, it can make your hair more greasy. Wash your hair every other day instead.
    Anonymous

• It would be worth going to a dermatologist and getting diagnosed and treated. Have you tried a dandruff shampoo just to see if it worked?

Answer by Bmat at 9:02 PM on Dec. 19, 2009

• I agree with other posters it is probably Dandruff. try using a dandruff shampoo every other hair wash to see what that does. Also, what about a clarifyer shampoo and conditioner that may also help. How old are you? Does this happen at any specific time of the month? have you changed products lately? I would do these things first b4 you go to a Dr then if not better go to Dr and tell him (her) of your research.
    mom2priceboys

Answer by mom2priceboys at 9:17 PM on Dec. 19, 2009

• Your professional products are made from higher quality ingredients and made by specialists in this field. Products like Panteen promote shiny healthy hair, but what they don't tell you is that their products have parafin wax in them. The same product that you use for hand and foot dipping and candle making. Dove is the same way. So these products will make your hair shiny in the beginning, but over time will cause your hair to snap...literally...I've seen it. I know this seems like a lot, but if you take the time to invest in seeing a stylist on a regular basis and invest in some good products, you will see a dramatic difference in your hair. By the way, I am a licensed cosmetologist, not just some know it all. ;-) Good luck.
    luckmomto2

Answer by luckmomto2 at 1:10 AM on Dec. 20, 2009