Pregnant now what?

Hi, my best friend just found out she is preg. She and her husband are unemployed. But she makes "to much" to be on med-ical from our state. planned parenthood says she has to pay cash for everything. She is also diabetic and needs to see a doctor. What can she do? is there any assitance for "mid class" people??? She is very stressed and i told her i will help her as much as i can
thanks so much

DilsMommy

Asked by DilsMommy at 8:27 PM on Dec. 19, 2009 in Pregnancy

• Once she is pregnant she is eligible for insurance through the state health plan. These programs are federally mandated. She should call Department of Family and Child Services. She should be eligible for Medicaid and WIC. Once she found out she was pregnant everything changed for her.
    Marwill

Answer by Marwill at 8:30 PM on Dec. 19, 2009

• i have no idea. . how can she make too much if she is unemployed? is it because its two of them? i would probably try to find a non profit organization that might be able to help her. there is ton of women's organizations that might be able to help lead her in the right direction. good luck . she realy does need prenatal care on a regular basis especially being a diabetic. please help her as much as possible.
    lambdarose

Answer by lambdarose at 8:31 PM on Dec. 19, 2009

• I agree with the first poster, that's what I was going to say.
    Rachell9503

Answer by Rachell9503 at 9:24 PM on Dec. 19, 2009

• the first poster is right. During pregnancy, she is fully insured due to the baby because it insures the BABY and the mother (she will likely lose her insurance after she has the baby, but for now it's worth getting, believe me.) Unfortunately, if she makes too much due to unemployment, she probably can't have that increased due to a pregnancy. However, she may apply for WIC (and should, trust me on this!!) or whatever other programs are offered in your state. It's worth it.
    sweetphoenix529

Answer by sweetphoenix529 at 9:54 PM on Dec. 19, 2009

• The first poster may be right for where she lives, but is incorrect as far as other states are concerned. In the state of NH, I make too much to get aid, but not nearly enough for my husband and I to do well with. And by "do well" I mean pay mortgage, property taxes, food, gas, etc. Here, bills don't get taken into account, just the bottom line of what's coming in. Once the baby gets here, he will be covered, but they won't cover my pregnancy.

I'd suggest finding a midwife rather than an ob/gyn. The vast majority of women are healthy enough to not need an ob/gyn. A midwife is trained to give care to an extent, and then will refer to a doc if necessary, but that doesn't happen very often. Having my baby through the hospital without insurance would cost me around $12,000 if no c-section or interventions were necessary. My midwife is $3200, and I have been thrilled with the care I've received thus far.
    kestrelscall

Answer by kestrelscall at 10:43 PM on Dec. 19, 2009

• What state do you live in? She will be a high risk pregnancy because she is diabetic. I know this because I am also diabetic. It is more likely than not that the state will help pay for her medical care. And if not then maybe she could find a clinic where she will be able to make payments for the care she gets.
    happy2bamommy86

Answer by happy2bamommy86 at 2:15 AM on Dec. 22, 2009