Kind of Silly But I'm curious

OK my husband is part Indian. We just adopted my daughter and she was invited to join the indian program in school because her dad is listed as Native American. So, I called and explained to them that she was adopted and is not really part Indian. Well since we adopted her its like she was born to us and they said she IS indian/ native american.

My question is if we adopt a black child would the child then be considered Native American/ Caucasian?

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 8:38 PM on Dec. 19, 2009 in Just for Fun

• I think it's sweet when an adopted child takes on the beliefs and nationality of their adopted parents, but they need to know their birth nationality, too.
    As far as the Indian program, they woud consider any adopted child as Native American of registered parent(s), but when they are adults they would not be able to register themselves as Native American because you do need to be of direct descent to do that.
    Congratulations on your new child!
    PrydferthMenyw

Answer by PrydferthMenyw at 6:58 AM on Dec. 20, 2009

• i think sometimes when its a school related thing or maybe a church thing and its not like a government thing, anything goes.

its a school thing, they can do whatever they want. i can see if your applying for something like that through the court house then it would be a big deal but its just school
    americansugar80

Answer by americansugar80 at 8:43 PM on Dec. 19, 2009

• Well I don't know but I know that most kids see themselves like their mother. My sil is white and had a baby with a black man. Her child is brown however sees her self as white. She played with white dolls and such.
    mmmegan38

Answer by mmmegan38 at 9:57 PM on Dec. 19, 2009

• I should also add, after having re-read your question, that Native Americans are not caucasian.
    A black child could be naturally born of Native American bloodline, but it would depend on how far down the bloodline they are in order to determine whether they would be called black or Native American. The government, and Native American councils, have guidelines on how to determine whether a person of Native American descent would be able to file themselves as such.
    My Grammy was 1/4 Blackfoot so I am too far down the bloodline to be able to file. I consider myself equally Blackfoot and Scottish.
    PrydferthMenyw

Answer by PrydferthMenyw at 7:04 AM on Dec. 20, 2009

• Sorry for the confusion I didnt mean Native american as being cacasian... I mean that they would be part native american from my husband and cacasian from me.
    Anonymous