will this hurt our baby?

My dh likes to toss our 2.5 month old daughter up in the air. Not too high and she loves it. I just dont know if this could harm her or not.

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 8:49 PM on Dec. 19, 2009 in Babies (0-12 months)

• It's dangerous because she hasn't got enough muscle strength in her neck. Even if it's not that high it doesn't take much to cause shaken baby syndrome. I'd suggest finding another way to get her to giggle.
    2autisticsmom

Answer by 2autisticsmom at 8:51 PM on Dec. 19, 2009

• I agree with the previous poster
    Autumn22

Answer by Autumn22 at 9:02 PM on Dec. 19, 2009

• Try geting him to blow on her belly to make her laugh instead or play peak a boo with her those alway make mine laughe and my boyfriend love it when she giggles at him when he blows on her belley
    Anonymous

• Go with your instincts- I can't remember what age we were doing that kind of thing, but it wasn't like we waited until he was 1. If you feel like you're just panicking because it's DH, not you, handling her, and you feel like you can't control the situation (I'm not trying to accuse you of being mommy nuts or anything, but a lot of moms just drive DH into a hole because they feel they're the only ones who are able to aptly care for the little one) that's one thing. If you see a scary situation and know that she isn't ready for it, talk to him and stop the rough housing. I wouldn't instantly freak out, but it's a good thing to watch and be careful of. Good luck!
    sweetphoenix529

Answer by sweetphoenix529 at 10:09 PM on Dec. 19, 2009

• I agree 110% with 2autisticsmom
    ramzmomma

Answer by ramzmomma at 10:25 PM on Dec. 19, 2009

• yes it can her muscles are not develop well is like he is shakig her and it can caused brain damage. now if she was a little older then no problem dh like to toss the baby in the air. is not high, but he waited until he was 5 mts. and was holding yo his head and sitting. he can find other ways to play with her
    piwife

Answer by piwife at 10:27 PM on Dec. 19, 2009

• While I agree she probably is too young to be tossed into the air.... the claims that it will cause shaken baby are just plain stupid.
    AmiJanell

Answer by AmiJanell at 11:37 AM on Dec. 20, 2009

• how is it stupid. they cant support their head perfectly yet at that age and their head could whiplash back and then forth when doing that and cause damage. its not dumb at all.
    MomNbabyGirl009

Answer by MomNbabyGirl009 at 8:14 PM on Dec. 20, 2009