Blood Sugar Question

So normally after 1 or 3 hours after I check my blood sugar, which isn't very often since I haven't been diagnosed diabetic but I sometimes barrow my uncles meter, it reads 110 or so. Today we were Christmas baking and I've been nibbling on it all day and had 1 Mt. Dew I took my blood sugar right after I was done and it said 160! Then an hour later it said 130! Is this high??? I'm thinking it is.

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 8:57 PM on Dec. 19, 2009 in Health

• After eating your blood sugars will be higher, when they test you for DM it is with fasting to get a more accurate reading. Blood sugars will change through out the day and with meals. If you test and it is 160 or 130 even and that is a fasting number, then that is way to high for a fasting blood glucose. One hour really doesnt give your body time to adjust to the levels if you have been eating and drinking sugary things all day.. Hope this helps some. A google search will also be able to answer just about any of your questions. If your Dr suspects DM type 2, he or she is a really good place to get some help also.
    midnightmoma

Answer by midnightmoma at 9:13 PM on Dec. 19, 2009

• should be under 140 two hours after eating. 160 one hour after isn't something to worry about but I'd check again fasting or even random.
    heatheryn

Answer by heatheryn at 9:22 PM on Dec. 19, 2009

• 120 is normal. Go from there.
    Anonymous

• According to a diabetic website, anything under 180 is ok. Blood sugar will normally spike within 1-2 hours of eating. However, when you eat a lot of simple sugars, it can spike & drop quickly.
    motherofhope98

Answer by motherofhope98 at 11:15 AM on Dec. 20, 2009