child sick

i feel like my 18th month old daughter is sick at least once a month. How do you keep your child from getting sick. I have no insurance and i'm a single mother so it's starting to get expensive to take her to the dr once a month and miss work all the time becasue she's sick. Let me know what you do

Madelyn_Marie

Asked by Madelyn_Marie at 9:05 PM on Dec. 19, 2009 in Kids' Health

• Depends on her symptoms. If she's congested, try a sitting in a steamed bathroom (run hot water with the shower) for a few minutes. That will help loosen things up. Also, if she's coughing, rub Vick's on the bottoms of her feet and cover with socks. Works like a charm every time. Have her sleep on a raised (45 degree angled) mattress. You can do that by placing a rolled up blanket under the mattress under her head. Use a humidifier. Encourage lots of liquids, keep her tiny hands clean, and I know this is a no brainer, but, be sure to keep your hands as clean as you can. Carry some of those disinfectant wipes on you, and hand sanitizer. Use often, especially after running errands like grocery shopping, etc. Have your carpet cleaned at least three times a year. Take your shoes off when you get home - it's amazing the things that are carried on the soles.
    Anonymous

• If your a single mom who watches her when you work ? Is she in daycare ? You might want to try a smaller home daycare or private sitter over a large daycare center if you can find one in your budget.

I agree with the pp...hand washing, eating well, getting good sleep, make sure not around anyone that smokes etc...
    Obviously (if she is in one) the daycare itself needs to be one where they clean toys often, wipe down tables and have children wash their hands. Also it needs to be a place that is strict about not letting parents sneak a sick kid in.

Definitely if you go out to a play area have her wash her hands or sanitize before eating a snack.

Also depending on symptoms you might want to check if she has food/environmental allergies.
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 3:42 AM on Dec. 20, 2009

• I would say just watch her sympotms before taking her in. I know that it is easy to get scared when your baby has a lot of congestion or a bad cough but the doctor can't do much for those things anyway. If her congestion is bad, use a saline nasal spray to keep the nose open and use the "booger ball" to suck out as much as you can. Elevated sleeping is helpful as well as the steamy bathroom. Use a humidifier if you have one. Hang in there and I hope she clears up soon!
    khedy

Answer by khedy at 10:34 AM on Dec. 21, 2009