Migrain or just really bad headache

O.K. I get really really bad headaches, sensitivity to light and sound, but no nausea. They also seem to hurt worse on my right side than my left. They last 1 to 2 days. I get them about every 6 weeks or so, not around my period and they don't seem to be connected to sinus problems. Does this sound like a migrain or a really bad "normal" headache?

teamquinn

Asked by teamquinn at 9:06 PM on Dec. 19, 2009 in Health

• I bet it's a migraine. The sensitivity to light/sound gives it away. You can try otc meds that are specifically for migraines. Works for some, but not everyone.
    Anonymous

• I've tried the excedren migrain and it only takes a little edge off of it.
    teamquinn

Answer by teamquinn at 9:09 PM on Dec. 19, 2009

• I also get horrible migraines and I would say thats one. Do you ever feel like you could throw up? I usually feel like i could, never actually have, but always get a little nauseas. I LOVE head on.. it sounds stupid but just slather it across your forehead.. from temple to temple and i even put it on the back of my neck. they have regular head on and Migraine head on.. I just get the migraine one. I also like to put the heating pad on my neck and sometimes try and crack my neck and massage my temples.. Im so sorry you keep getting these. I know how miserable they are.. Talk to your DR. mine gave me some caffeine pills for pre-migraine headaches to try and catch them before they start and then migraine pills for when they are just too far gone.. also when you feel them coming on, right away do the head on and some ibuprofen or tylenol right away!!
    Good luck!
    maybebaby83

Answer by maybebaby83 at 9:11 PM on Dec. 19, 2009

• It definitely sounds like migraines, and you don't have to have nausea to have migraines. That's just one of the possible symptoms that you may or may not experience with them. I was diagnosed with migraines and sensitivity to light and noise is one, as is them lasting 1-2 days. I can tell you, they will give you migraine medicine and it does work, but it causes a lot of bad side effects, and if you're only getting them every six weeks, trust me when I say the side effects of the meds are not worth it. Just get you some good Extra Strength Tylenol to help.
    Anonymous

• I would do the migraine pills. In fact I do.. the side effects are not horrible. They dont want you to take them every day or anything, but once every 6 weeks is NOT bad.. my dr knows how often I take mine and says they are fine. Mine are called imitrex and they work wonders.
    maybebaby83

Answer by maybebaby83 at 9:14 PM on Dec. 19, 2009

• Sounds like a migraine, I get them and can't stand noise or light. But I also get sick to my stomach. Do you see "spots" before you get your headache? Some people with migraines do and some don't. You can go to the doctor and get Zomig or something but I didn't like it. Try some Execedrin Migraine (take it as soon as you feel the migraine starting) and lay in a dark quiet room and see if that helps. Sometimes a long hot bath helps me too. Be careful with the Imitrex, let your doctor know your family history and any other medications you are on if you are going to try that. Drinking caffiene will help too because it dilates the blood vessels.
    SophiaofLight

Answer by SophiaofLight at 5:39 AM on Dec. 20, 2009