child sick

i feel like my 18th month old daughter is sick at least once a month. How do you keep your child from getting sick. I have no insurance and i'm a single mother so it's starting to get expensive to take her to the dr once a month and miss work all the time becasue she's sick. Let me know what you do

Madelyn_Marie

Asked by Madelyn_Marie at 9:06 PM on Dec. 19, 2009 in General Parenting

• I tried to be super clean around the house so they wouldn't be exposed, not taking them around crowds, washing my hands all the time. Some sickness is normal and helps the child build up immunity. If the sickness is the same every time- say constant tonsil infections, then the doctor should suggest preventative treatment.

Answer by Bmat at 9:11 PM on Dec. 19, 2009

• If you are a single mom is she is probably in daycare? There is no keeping some kids well in daycare situations! You have the moms that WONT keep sick kids home...the moms that CANT...and some kids just dont have the immune systems of others :( Can you not get a state HC for kids? I know we topped out of medicaid but qualified for AllKids......Their income threshold is higher!

momof030404

Answer by momof030404 at 9:35 PM on Dec. 19, 2009

• I am right there with you! It got so bad that I lost my job of 2 months because I missed so much time taking care of him. Here in PA, we're on CHIP, which is a low-cost insurance program. Check into some type of program like this to curb costs. Depending on what's going on, I'd be on the look out for allergies- they can break down an immune system (a part of our issue). Also, like the earlier post mentioned, the doctor should be recommending preventative treatment. The ENT that we (finally) just saw told me that he likes to see kids with more than 6 ear infections in one year be seen to determine if they should have tubes put in. I would also try a multi-vitamin. There are some by the same people who make infamil that you can give to any age. Also, look at what you feed her- I tend to stick to the fast-food-and-Ravioli diet, but I think moms who have time to provide balanced meals have more lucl than I do? Good luck!!
    sweetphoenix529

Answer by sweetphoenix529 at 9:38 PM on Dec. 19, 2009