breastfeeding???

this is my first day home...had a lil boy 6 pounds 14oz...at 3:44 on dec 18th...can i breastfeed and give a bottle some times???

excitedmomma2be

Asked by excitedmomma2be at 9:15 PM on Dec. 19, 2009 in Babies (0-12 months)

• Congratulations!!! If you give a bottle, it will cut down on your milk supply. Perhaps pumping and giving him this would work?

Answer by Bmat at 9:17 PM on Dec. 19, 2009

• You want to wait until after you have nursing and your supply well established. This will take between 4-6 weeks. If you start giving bottles too early it can cause baby to reject the breast (because the bottle is easier) and missing feedings and pumping can screw with your milk supply.

So... nurse directly for the next 4 or 5 weeks, at least, and then you can offer bottles when you need to... if you will be separated, etc..

Is there a specific concern you are having which is why you want to give a bottle? Maybe we can address that instead...
    LeanneC

Answer by LeanneC at 9:26 PM on Dec. 19, 2009

• also bottles are such easy work for babies, and breast is hard work
    so theres a chance that the baby will reject the breast if given a bottle so soon...just a chance

but unless u have to work or something theres no reason to give a bottle so early, you should get your latch good right now , i waited 3 weeks and only let my baby have pumped milk from a bottle when I have to go somewhere.
    Anonymous

• I dont have milk yet...i didnt know i could pump b4 i had milk??? i have to go back to work in 2 days???what can i do?
    excitedmomma2be

Answer by excitedmomma2be at 9:39 PM on Dec. 19, 2009

• Oh my, going back to work that soon after having a baby? :( Sorry! I bet that's hard. I have to go back 3 months after my baby is born in January and that's killing me.
    Autumn22

Answer by Autumn22 at 9:53 PM on Dec. 19, 2009

• You have colostrum... which is all baby needs. You need to keep nursing in order for your body to get the signals to make milk. For the record, you can express colostrum... but if baby is nursing, there should be no reason to. If, for some reason, you decide to supplement, you would still need to pump at babies feeding time to stimulate milk production. Again, baby nursing is 100x better... better for them, and better for you.

And you go back to work in 2 days? As in, 4 days after giving birth and 4 days before Christmas? Not okay. Not okay for you, forget your milk supply and breastfeeding relationship, YOU need to heal. Even if baby is getting bottles... you need to heal. I went to the grocery store at 6 days PP and nearly fainted... that was just a quick trip to the grocery store!!!

LeanneC

Answer by LeanneC at 9:53 PM on Dec. 19, 2009

• You have to go back in two days????? Are you positive??

It is REQUIRED by law that you have 6 weeks to recover after having a baby. What kind of POS company do you work for that expects you back 4 days after giving birth??? They are trying to kill you. It is VERY, VERY bad for your health to go back to work right now. Your body has been in the equivelant of a train wreck. You are in no shape to go back to work.

Anonymous

• You don't want to introduce a bottle too early, and when you do introduce it you want to be selective in how often. Try not to introduce a bottle before 6-8 weeks. If you have initial problems with latching, this is especially important! I went back to work a week after my baby was born BUT used a spoon, eyedropper, or tiny cup only. No bottle until our latch issues were resolved and then ONLY when I was at work and ONLY with a breastfeeding friendly nipple. I never give the baby a bottle, and if I miss a feed I pump. The first few weeks are the hardest and you do not want to be tempted by bottles because that can really sabotage breastfeeding.   

amileegirl

Answer by amileegirl at 10:02 PM on Dec. 19, 2009

• Remember baby will want to be attached to you all the time and eats VERY often.    Join the breastfeeding moms group on cafemom for support.   Don't worry if you can't pump much, especially at first!</p>
    <p><a href="http://www.kellymom.com">http://www.kellymom.com</a>  is a wealth of information.  So is:  <a href="http://www.drjacknewman.com">http://www.drjacknewman.com</a>   </p>

amileegirl

Answer by amileegirl at 10:03 PM on Dec. 19, 2009

• SUREYOU CAN BUT YOU MIGHT ENCOUNTER LAOT OF PROBLEM SUPPLY MY DROP, IF BF HASNT BEEN ESTABLISH HE MIGHT STOP LATHCING ON AND WILL ONLY TAKE THE BOTTLE. LEST JUST SAY THAT IF YOU DO WNAT TO BF STAY AWAY FROM BOTTLES FOR THE FIRST 6 WKS. TAKE IT FROM SOMEONE WHO MADETHAT MISTAKE AND ENDED UP HAVING TO FF CUZI DRIED UP AND MY DD STOP LATCHING ON. WITH DS I HAD TO EXCLUSEVELY PUMP. IF YOUR BABY LATCHES ON, DONT DO BOTTLE UNLES YOU HAVE TO CUZ IFYOU DO IS A AROUTE TOWARDS FAILURE. GOOD LUCK!! ALSO IF YOU DO DECIDE TO GIVE BOTTLE PUMP YOUR MILK. LIKE OTHERS SAID PUMP IF YOU ARE GOING TO MISS A FEEDING OR YOUR SUPPLY WILL SUFFER
    piwife

Answer by piwife at 10:21 PM on Dec. 19, 2009