Now THIS is heartbreaking..How can we allow this?

A loophole in state law is preventing Campbell County investigators from charging a woman they say killed her newborn baby.

Deputies were called to a home in the 1200 block of Lone Jack Road in Rustburg around 11:00a.m. Friday. The caller said a woman in her early 20s was in labor. When deputies arrived, they discovered the baby had actually been born around 1:00a.m., about ten hours earlier. Investigators say the baby was already dead when deputies got there.

tnmomofive

Asked by tnmomofive at 9:31 PM on Dec. 19, 2009 in Politics & Current Events

• That is horribly sad and makes me want to cry but I can't say that I am very surprised. Value for human life...even in it's earliest stages is hard to come by these days. Although I can't believe some people don't consider a baby "alive" at conception, it is just shocking and gut wreching to me that they STILL don't consider a baby a live human being when it is born! Attached to the mother still or not, when that baby comes out how can you even make an excuse that it is still not a life! These people have what's coming to them though so I'm not worried. They can make their excuses and do their horrible crimes to innocent babies all they want...it is just earning them a 1 way ticket to hell.
    Ash9724

Answer by Ash9724 at 10:24 PM on Dec. 19, 2009

• Investigators tell WSLS the baby’s airway was still blocked.  They say the baby was under bedding and had been suffocated by her mother.  Investigators say because the mother and baby were still connected by the umbilical cord and placenta, state law does not consider the baby to be a separate life.  Therefore, the mother cannot be charged.

“In the state of Virginia as long as the umbilical cord is attached and the placenta is still in the mother, if the baby comes out alive the mother can do whatever she wants to with that baby to kill it.“, says Investigator Tracy Emerson.  “She could shoot the baby, stab the baby.  As long as it’s still attached to her in some form by umbilical cord or something it’s no crime in the state of Virginia.“

tnmomofive

Answer by tnmomofive at 9:32 PM on Dec. 19, 2009

• tnmomofive

• That is the one of the craziest things I have ever read. Such a sad society we live in now. Did it give the age of the mother in the article?
    ronjwake

Answer by ronjwake at 9:34 PM on Dec. 19, 2009

• It said early 20's
    tnmomofive

Answer by tnmomofive at 9:36 PM on Dec. 19, 2009

• Code of Virginia 18.2-71.1, paragraph C

This goes against what was said in this story.
    ronjwake

Answer by ronjwake at 9:37 PM on Dec. 19, 2009

• Yeah I was just reading some of the comments on that ron..I hope that is right she needs to rot
    tnmomofive

Answer by tnmomofive at 9:39 PM on Dec. 19, 2009

• I don't have time to read the article so here is my answer, to me it sounds like they need anti abortion laws where ever this happened. After 27weeks or something abortion is illegal or something like that. just my opinion
    MaKettle87

Answer by MaKettle87 at 9:42 PM on Dec. 19, 2009

• Not shocking to me abortion is not considered a crime and a baby is considered tissue until it is seperated from its mother. I hope this woman likes hell that is where she and other like her who murder their born and unborn babies will forever burn and be tortured like they deserve. So sad.
    Anonymous

• I do also Tnmom. It amazes me that the officals in charge have not charged her, yet. There will be public outrage if they do not.
    ronjwake

Answer by ronjwake at 9:44 PM on Dec. 19, 2009