Is there a reason why autism is on the rise?

has science explained it? how the heck does it go up 50%?

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 9:32 PM on Dec. 19, 2009 in Kids' Health

• It goes up by 50% because we are pumping our kids full of vaccinations full of mercury and food with all kinds of nasty chemicals in it!
    MaKettle87

Answer by MaKettle87 at 9:38 PM on Dec. 19, 2009

• It's also an excuse for bad behavior in kids.
    Anonymous

That has got to be one of the silliest comments to date that I have read on CM. Autism is a very real thing, and sadly more and more children are being diagnosed. However, the population continues to grow and there is better testing for Autism then when they first starting keeps track of it.
    ronjwake

Answer by ronjwake at 9:48 PM on Dec. 19, 2009

• Vaccines, chemicals in every thing we eat and drink and breathe in, plus over diagnosing. It has become a "catch all" for kids with behavior issues. Like ADD and ADHD. Are there real cases? Yes, absolutely. But since it is an easy diagnosis, Dr's label kids with it too often without doing any real investigating.
    AnnaMac

Answer by AnnaMac at 9:49 PM on Dec. 19, 2009

• Wow, there are some very ignorant women on her. OP to answer your question the reason that is seems to be on the rise is because more people are aware of the symptoms and are getting the help that they need or that their child needs. More and more adults are also getting diagnosed now too. Sometimes these adults were labeled as something else as children but with more information and research, they are able to get the correct diagnosis. All of this makes the numbers go up.

Anonymous

• AnnaMac, I have to disagree with you on that. My son is in the process of being diagnosed with Aspergers. We have been in the process for 5 months now and we were told it could take up to 2 years to get an official diagnosis. The doctor's want to rule out any other possibilities first.

Anonymous

• Like I said there are real cases and there are good Dr's. But just because your Dr is good doesn't mean they are all good. I have personally seen it. Walk into a Dr's office. Dr looks at the kid and says, "He has autism". No testing. No specialist. Just a perscription for Adderall. It does happen, probably more than anyone realizes. More testing isn't always ordered for the kids who have bad health insurance.

AnnaMac

Answer by AnnaMac at 10:01 PM on Dec. 19, 2009

• Also, as you already know, Aspergers is harder to diagnose than than Autism. Which means it requires years of testing that usually doesn't even begin before 4 yrs of age.
    AnnaMac

Answer by AnnaMac at 10:09 PM on Dec. 19, 2009

• Honestly, I believe a lot of kids are misdiagnosed with a lot of disorders. People are soo paranoid these days. Not only pumping their kids full of vaccinations and medications, but also just with their child being 'different'. They want soo badly to protect that they believe everything a doctor or the media tells them. Parents have absolutely no common sense these days, and don't listen to their own instinct. We have become a very dependent society on what "Specialists" and "Experts" say, that we don't listen to what we say. I say "Parents" as a whole, but I really do mean the ones who are like this. I do realize not all parents are.
    JazzlikeMraz

Answer by JazzlikeMraz at 10:14 PM on Dec. 19, 2009

• Because we do not allow children to be children. If they are not perfect, we have to have a diagnosis. They told me my son was PSS-NOS because he was a late talker and a few other things. Thank goodness I did not buy into that. I admit he is a little more quirky than my older son, but because we never "adjusted" our lives to acomodate his "condition" he is an average 10 year old with a few quirks. The others in our "therapy group" still have behaviors that others have to adapt to. be so very careful before you buy into this ASD thing, you could ruin your child!
    Anonymous