OK Moms i need your help please!!

I am a first time mother of an 8 month old and he has had really bad diarrhea for 2 days now like pooping 5-8 times and his butt is so raw that sometimes he bleeds and we ve been trying to not wipe hard and mostly pat him and we have been putting corn starch on him and giving him pedialite but its not gettin any better and we took him to the ER last time (when we first saw blood) and they gave him the pedialite but didnt even look at his poor lil bottom (stupid dr in er) what can i do to A.soothe my babys poor bottom and B. thicken his poop?Any advice would be greatly appreciated
(Its most likely that his teething is the cause bc no fever and no vomiting)

aidensmama8

Asked by aidensmama8 at 9:35 PM on Dec. 19, 2009 in Babies (0-12 months)

• if he doesnt have a temperature why are you giving him pedialyte? Did you try Domboro for his butt? Send me a message and I'll tell you how to do it, but once you do it the rash is gone almost overnight. As for the runny poop what about giving him more cereal?
    Shyma

Answer by Shyma at 9:40 PM on Dec. 19, 2009

• My son has something similar happen to him when he was about 10 months old. The doctor prescribed him some prescription cream but it made it worse. My friend suggested butt paste so we gave it a try and it cleared up his rash in 2 days. http://www.buttpaste.com/BLButtPaste.php

JeremysMom

Answer by JeremysMom at 9:41 PM on Dec. 19, 2009

• BRAT diet:
    Bananas
    Rice Applesauce
    Toast
    and yogurt, the best would be the Danimals for kids, or just plain.
    Keep up with the fluids, but I would be careful of anything with too much sugar, maybe just stick with formula, or if you breast feed do that as normal. Hope your baby's feeling better soon!
    MrsLeftlane

Answer by MrsLeftlane at 9:41 PM on Dec. 19, 2009

• Aww poor little thing! I hope he gets better soon! Even since I stared feeding my baby oatmeal serial she hasnt had diarreah witch use to be a big problem with her also when we started stage 3 food she hasnt had diarreah eaither and she is 7 months old. So if your not already id try some good solid baby food. All the ER would do for us was tell us to go get some pedialight they dont like doing much more than that. As for the raw bottom oh whats it called it comes in a pink container and its a baby poweder but it a kind of medicated over the counter baby powder that worked great on my baby they sell it at cvs and its the only one that has pink.
    Anonymous

• Give him a warm bath with baking soda in it. Then make sure his bottom is completely dry and put the Desitin Overnight Formula on him. It is in a purple tube. That kind is very thick and works within a few hours. Make sure you apply it every diaper change. Plus you should use a warm wash cloth when you wipe him. Baby wipes (even the fragrance free kind) have chemicals in them that can really irritate his rash and make it sting.
    As for diet, give him mild foods. Of course keep up with bf or ff. But feed things like plain toast (if he can handle it), applesauce, rice, and bananas.
    Good luck! I hope your little guy gets better soon!!
    AnnaMac

Answer by AnnaMac at 9:42 PM on Dec. 19, 2009

• Oh and soaking in warm water in the tub will help soothe his bottom, then apply some vasoline to keep the moisture away from the skin...
    MrsLeftlane

Answer by MrsLeftlane at 9:42 PM on Dec. 19, 2009

• if he doesnt have a temperature why are you giving him pedialyte?

Pedialyte isn't for fevers. It is too keep them hydrated when they have diarrhea. Keep up with the pedialyte or gatorade to make sure he doesn't get dehydrated. That is when it can be dangerous.
    Anonymous

• Have you tried butt paste? It's my fave. If his butt is chapped even when he doesn't have the diarrhea, try switching brands- my friend's son was about that age when they discovered he was allergic to huggies. Try to hold off on the formula and push pedialyte or other fluids with the BRAT diet until the diarrhea has passed- milk irritates the belly.
    sweetphoenix529

Answer by sweetphoenix529 at 10:06 PM on Dec. 19, 2009

• I agree with the BRAT diet. I had to use that on my son during his last teething bout which also caused him to be a prolific pooper. His butt got raw and here's what I did, BTW the ButtPaste did nothing for him, I use Goldbond or Balmex powder after cleaning (which you can do with rinsed wipes or with papertowels moistened in plain water or a water and baking soda solution) and then I used an Equate (Walmart brand!) diaper cream, white tube with blue trim (an original desitin knockoff) and it cleared within a day and hasn't come back. The tube says Equate Diaper Rash Relief. I couldn't believe something so cheap worked so good!
    WindyTheWidow

Answer by WindyTheWidow at 10:07 PM on Dec. 19, 2009

• Get him an appointment with his pediatrician. They can give him more help then we can.
    JazzlikeMraz

Answer by JazzlikeMraz at 10:08 PM on Dec. 19, 2009