When should a toddler start to sleep with a pillow and blanket?

I have a 13 month old who is still sleeping without pillows or blankets or ANYTHING in her crib for that matter. She sleeps perfectly fine and all through the night. So I was just curious about when most moms start to give a blanket and/or pillow. I've tried putting a blanket on her during her naps but she just throws them off since she moves around so much.

Asloml

Asked by Asloml at 9:40 PM on Dec. 19, 2009 in Toddlers (1-2)

• Well I started to use a blanket when my daughter was an infant as she was a winter baby. As for the pillow I didn't give her one until she was about 2 when I converted her crib to a toddler bed.
    mommytobrooke

Answer by mommytobrooke at 9:53 PM on Dec. 19, 2009

• I've used blankets with both of my children since the day they were born. I let my son sleep on a boppy pillow when he was sick as an infant to keep his airways clear. He started sleeping with a pillow I've had since I was young at around a year old. I used it when he got sick and he's slept with it ever since. My daughter slept on her boppy in her cradle for the first few weeks after she was born. My son gave her two colds when she was days/weeks old. Now she sleeps without the boppy, but I still put a blanket on her.
    JazzlikeMraz

Answer by JazzlikeMraz at 10:01 PM on Dec. 19, 2009

• I gave him a blanket since he was born. I just started giving him a small, light pillow because he was balling up the blanket and using that as a pillow. He is 17 months.
    HannahLee87

Answer by HannahLee87 at 10:05 PM on Dec. 19, 2009

• My kids all had a blanket from the day the were born. The soonest one of them had a pillow was probably 4 months, the latest was around 11 months.
    Anonymous

• We gave blankets right away with both kids. My DD got a pillow around 18 months when we switched her to a toddler bed, she actually got it herself so we let her keep it. I will most likely give DS his first pillow when we switch him to a toddler bed. I think as long as she is moving around and can turn her head she is safe to have a pillow/blanket in there. =)

Navymama

Answer by Navymama at 10:10 PM on Dec. 19, 2009

• my kids have been using pillows and a blanket since they were a couple of months old
    piwife

Answer by piwife at 10:31 PM on Dec. 19, 2009

• I would say its fine now. I use blankets for my son all the time and he's 4 months. I just make sure they are under arms so he won't pull them up over his face and I check on him often. He gets really cold during the night and the sleep sacks just aren't cutting it. I think it is fine to use a light pillow, not the big mushy ones, and a blanket once your child can move it out of the way if it gets in their face. Its more of a concern when they aren't mobile enough to move their head or move the object so they can breathe.
    Anonymous

• My 17 month is wrapped burrito-style in a blanket before going to bed, and I leave an extra blanket in the crib just in case she needs it. I've been doing this for at least 4 months. I haven't given her a pillow yet. I'm afraid she'll suffocate.
    Fallaya

Answer by Fallaya at 10:54 PM on Dec. 19, 2009

• if shes moving her head, or moving her body through out her sleep its perfectly fine. my son is 19 months and has been sleeping with a blanket since he was a baby..and just got a pillow around 12 months when i moved him to a toddler bed. he really doesn't use it becuz he moves so much. but hes old enough where his body understands when its not getting enough air/oxygen..
    SweetPoison

Answer by SweetPoison at 11:18 PM on Dec. 19, 2009

• My son just turned a year old and I have always had blankets in his crib. I have yet to put a pillow in there with him. I probably wont do it unti he is actually out of the crib.

Danielle Shellhorn
    http://www.internetceomoms.com/danishel
    Email-Thisfamilyrocks@gmail.com
    ddsunshine

Answer by ddsunshine at 1:12 PM on Dec. 20, 2009