How tight does the crib mattress have to be?

I just got the crib mattress and of course took it out of the plastic only to discover that there is about a 1-2 in gap on the sides. At our birthing class the teacher said the mattress should be snug so the baby won't get an arm / leg stuck.

What do you think I should do??? I can't return the mattress anymore but I want my baby to be safe?

RaRa921

Asked by RaRa921 at 9:59 PM on Dec. 19, 2009 in Babies (0-12 months)

• you could roll recieving blankets or towels on the side with the gap or put a bumper in the gapped space and then another one on top.
    Shyma

Answer by Shyma at 10:02 PM on Dec. 19, 2009

• the mattress is supose to be snug not loose if you can put a baby doll in there and put her on the side like a baby then you have your answer
    Anonymous

• Try selling the mattress on craig's list. Or, if the wrapper advertised that it fit all cribs, you can call the store and have it returned. Also, try calling the mattress company. See if they'll allow you to send it back or return it for a refund, or send you one that works?
    sweetphoenix529

Answer by sweetphoenix529 at 10:11 PM on Dec. 19, 2009

• I wouldn't use the bumper or blankets on the sides. My son is 16 months, and he would still be able to fit a leg into a one-inch gap, especially the way he jumps around his crim now. He would rip that stuff out so fast, wind up falling and dislocating half of his limbs. It's a pain to change the sheets on the properly-fit mattressess, but multiple reasons to remove the hazard.
    sweetphoenix529

Answer by sweetphoenix529 at 10:15 PM on Dec. 19, 2009

• Bring it back. Wrapper or not... if you just bought it you should be able to return it (plenty of things are returned not in the original packaging)
    AmiJanell

Answer by AmiJanell at 11:33 AM on Dec. 20, 2009

• I was able to return the mattress. The store tried to tell me the crib was either built wrong or it was some manufactor error. Well I decided to measure the crib and then measure the mattress before calling the company. It turns out I just had to buy the $100 + mattress and it fits snug, can barely get my fingers into the sides. So I guess baby will get the deluxe, allergy free style mattress. :) Oh I also checked the directions of the crib and there wasn't another way to build it so that wasn't the issue.
    Yippee problem solved.
    RaRa921

Answer by RaRa921 at 9:39 AM on Dec. 27, 2009