26 month old soaking himself over 4 times in 3 hours to stay up after bed time.

We already take away his cup 3 hours before bed, but he still does this some how. What gives?

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 10:17 PM on Dec. 19, 2009 in Toddlers (1-2)

• Some babies are just like that. I seriously doubt he's doing it on purpose. He's nowhere near ready for potty training, meaning he has no control over his bladder. Bump it up to four hours before bed, heck, if I drink anything three hours before bed, I'm up in the middle of the night too! :)

Anonymous

• I'd have his blood sugar checked just to be sure. High blood sugar will make them pee so much.
    heatheryn

Answer by heatheryn at 11:21 PM on Dec. 19, 2009

• 26 months is NOT to early to potty trained. Every child in my family (and we have 16) was potty trained fully before 24 months. I'm not saying you have to. If you like buying diapers and filling up the landfills with them thats your deal but don't claim children that age are incapable of potty training because that is not true.

It is probably just anxiety because of bedtime. I know if I get nervous about something I have to pee constantly. Is he scared of the dark? Does he hate going to bed? I'm sure the issue isn't even potty related. Try to find out why he is doing it and encourage him to use the potty before bed time. If you need to help train him wake him up once an hour for the first three hours he is asleep and take him to the toilet to use the restroom then put him back to bed. He will quickly learn that it is time to wake up and call for you.
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 12:02 AM on Dec. 20, 2009

• 1. I doubt it's on purpose. 2. He is not too young to be potty trained. It actually might even help encourage him to pee before bed. 3. I think he needs water with dinner. I think you're cutting it off too early. Does it contribute? No clue. 4. I agree with the high blood sugar thing. Double check, just to be sure.
    apexmommy

Answer by apexmommy at 12:09 AM on Dec. 20, 2009