I need advise on how to get my 2 y/o to stay in his bed at night. He is fighting us HARD!

I have a 2 y/o and a 7 m/o. My 2 y/o had been sleeping just fine in his toddler bed until we decided to move rooms around. After a couple of nights in his new room, he started fighting us. We moved him back into his old room trying to fix it, but now he is crying, screaming and beating on the door for over an hour and still wont go to sleep. Last night we got him to fall asleep on the couch and then moved him to his bed. Around midnight he woke up crying and beating on his door and I ended up sleeping on the couch with him. I would let him cry it out more if I didn't have my 7 m/o sleeping in the room next to him. I need some help PLEASE! I feel like we have lost control and I don't know how to get it back!

MaximusMommy

Asked by MaximusMommy at 10:22 PM on Dec. 19, 2009 in Toddlers (1-2)

• I agree with Mom2boyz. The kid is two and generally, at this age, they're learning to express their individuality and choices. Once I acknowledge that I'm the parent and he's the kid, feeling what he's supposed to be feeling and acting out as is age appropriate to his group, I would rediscover my unconditional love, patience, tolerance and prepare myself to lose a few hours sleep or learn to sleep lightly throughout his screams and door beating. I'd wear him down before I allow him to wear me down. I wouldn't bribe or spank him. He's gotta learn YOUR WORD IS LAW. He'll respect you better if you quietly demonstrate this rather than talk him to death.

Ewadun

Answer by Ewadun at 11:33 AM on Dec. 20, 2009

• When he gets up I would go in there tell him a quiet, "It's nite nite time, you have to sleep." Say nothing else and walk him to his bed, make sure he is in it, snuggled in, and leave the room without a word. No anger and no reaction will have a bigger effect really. Just be consistant and stick to your guns. I know it's hard, but it will pass I promise.
    mom2BOYZnDad

Answer by mom2BOYZnDad at 11:11 PM on Dec. 19, 2009

• Bribe him.

We did this for our daughter and it worked well................

Have him decorate a paper lunch bag with markers and stickers and whatnot....Tape it to the end of his bed and tell him that every night that he stays in his bed and doesn't cry, you'll put a special treat (hit up the dollar store for some little things) in his "Big Boy Bag." But he has to be sleeping in order for you to put the treat in the bag. No staying up to catch you. You will only put it in if he's sleeping. (We did it like an hour before she usually woke up in the morning.) So that way, when he wakes up in the morning, he can find out what his surprise is. But if there in any crying or fussing, there will be no treat. After awhile he'll be sleeping in his bed and not need bribing.

Good luck!
    Anonymous

• I'm still having problems with my three year old and four year old. They won't stay in bed. AT ALL. My three year old gets up and uses the excuse she has to pee to get out of bed to see what mommy and daddy are watching tv. All daddy watches is the police shows and she hears the sirens on there. My two year old is scared of his room or so he says. There is a monster in there. I show him around his room and so forth and he lays there and crys for ever. seems like 2 hours or more. But actually its only an hour But I try to bribe him and it works. I tell him and her they will get something special if they go to bed. IT WORKS. So try the bribing thing. Expecially what the chick above me said. That i'm going to try.
    Shilahcarnall

Answer by Shilahcarnall at 11:26 AM on Dec. 20, 2009

• My suggestion is to not let him sleep anywhere but in his bed. Put him back in and, if necessary, stay in the room with him until he falls asleep. Our rule was that we would stay in the room as long as our son stayed in his bed. If he got up, we let the room and let him cry for a bit (never more than about 5 minutes). We'd then go back in and try again until he fell sleep. While we were in the room we said absolutely nothing to him (other than to warn him when necessary that if he got out of bed, we'd leave). The calmer and quieter you stay, the less "interesting" the whole process is for him, the more likely he is to go back to sleep. Falling asleep one place and waking up in another can be confusing to a toddler. Once he starts falling asleep more quickly, try putting him down and leaving right away (or after a short period of time). Eventually you'll be able to get out without any fuss.
    momofryan07

Answer by momofryan07 at 3:00 PM on Dec. 20, 2009

• Thank you all so much for your help! We are going to try the consistency with putting him back in bed, without anger - that has been a big problem of mine! My word is going to be law once again in my house! :)
    MaximusMommy

Answer by MaximusMommy at 2:26 PM on Dec. 21, 2009