Anyone have a son with ADD? Does he take medication for it? If so have you noticed a difference and have you had any problems with the medication?

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 10:49 PM on Dec. 19, 2009 in School-Age Kids (5-8)

• My son was diagnosed at age 13 with ADHD, this was last year. He does take vyvnase 30 in the mornings for it. He has had zero problems with the medication and he has been on it for a year. I will tell you that it is better to take a child to a child specialist instead of a regular family doctor. My son has only been on this one medication but I do know of children that went to just a standard doctor and had to put put on several different ones and does before they found the one that worked properly.
    ronjwake

Answer by ronjwake at 10:53 PM on Dec. 19, 2009

• For years they tried to tell us to medicate our son for ADHD. I kept searching for answers. What several teachers & therapists told us was ADHD was actually a sensitivity to several key ingredients in foods: eggs, milk, wheat & soy. Ask your dr for a food panel rast test for IgG. All it takes is a blood draw. We removed these foods from his diet & his behavior improved immensly. He was able to quit therapy. He is almost up to grade level in school and improving everyday.
    motherofhope98

Answer by motherofhope98 at 11:41 AM on Dec. 20, 2009

• My son is 13 and has been on 3 different meds for ADD since he was 10. The best has been Vyvanse and it has helped tremendously!!! My son would never make it through school if he wasn't medicated, he just can't pay attention without the help. If I took away all the foods that is on the "diet" for ADD kids, he wouldn't have anything left to eat. I barely make enough to feed and clothe him now, if I had to buy special food, we would be living in our car. A combo of drugs and therapy help a lot.

Answer by tyfry7496 at 11:59 AM on Dec. 20, 2009

• You don't have to buy special or organic food. You buy whole food instead of processed junk. Whole fruits, veggies & meat. There are a lot of options out there that are natural without the added artificials & preservatives.
    motherofhope98

Answer by motherofhope98 at 12:41 PM on Dec. 20, 2009