Seriously, Would this offend you?

I saw the following poll on my local news papers website.

What do you think about people or stores that say 'Happy Holidays' instead of 'Merry Christmas?'
No big deal. 44%
I'm offended. 56%

It wouldn't offend me. I don't understand how it offends people. Growing up I didn't celebrate any holidays because of religion so I'm kind of new to this.... Maybe I'm missing something! I don't know

HannahLee87

Asked by HannahLee87 at 10:58 PM on Dec. 19, 2009 in Just for Fun

• Makes you wonder how that %56 get through life..if a couple of little words offends you THAT MUCH you should live in country where there's no free speech. JMO
    Allergic2Stupid

Answer by Allergic2Stupid at 11:00 PM on Dec. 19, 2009

• Omg I was seriously thinking the same exact thing today. I have no idea how ppl are offended by things like this. I mean seriously? I wonder too how ppl are offended by someone praying to whatever God they believe in, in public, or other things of that nature. If you believe in whatever you belive in than why would it bother you what someone else is doing? UGH! Annoyed. No it does not offend me in the least. I personally like it when people say Merry Christmas but if someone says Happy Holidays that is fine with me!
    Ash9724

Answer by Ash9724 at 11:01 PM on Dec. 19, 2009

• Thats something silly to be offended over. Aren't there bigger things to worry about in this world? I have noticed the general shift to "Holiday" over Christmas though--- I keep seeing people mentioning their "Holiday Party" of the moment on facebook. I prefer that highly to "xmas."
    IrishMommaC

Answer by IrishMommaC at 11:02 PM on Dec. 19, 2009

• i think the stores say that because it is more than one holiday. as in there is christmas eve,christmas,new year's eve,and new year's day. it wouldn't offend me and it's dumb that people would get offended. if they get offended that easily how do they survive day to day exsist?
    xavierlogan09

Answer by xavierlogan09 at 11:08 PM on Dec. 19, 2009

• I think too many people walk on egg shells. In this society alot of people don't celebrate Christmas and celebrate other holidays so I think companies are trying not to offend THEM by just saying Merry Christmas. I think people are too sensitive. Why can't they say Merry Christmas and Happy Holidays! There you go, its genious, now we've covered it all. Problem solved.
    BLoNdIe121679

Answer by BLoNdIe121679 at 11:10 PM on Dec. 19, 2009

• LOL... this poll is also funny to me because I saw on Yahoo! News that Louisiana is the happiest state. yet 56% of people would be offended over something so silly!
    HannahLee87

Answer by HannahLee87 at 11:10 PM on Dec. 19, 2009

• Wow. I actually thought it was the opposite. I thought people would be more offended by Merry Christmas than Happy Holidays so I always send cards that say Happy Holidays. Honestly, I could care less what somebody says to me, really it's all the same. I also agree with Allergic2Stupid.
    Anonymous

• Makes sense in the South where being Christian is the unwritten law. Violate that and you may as well be a criminal because you'll be treated like one as soon as anyone finds out. If you took that same poll elsewhere in the country the results would not be tilted that way.
    NotPanicking

Answer by NotPanicking at 12:33 AM on Dec. 20, 2009

• I suppose that I'm an offender then! lol When I was sending out cards to my neighbors last year (we had just moved here) . . I sent Happy Holidays cards to the houses without lights/wreaths etc. and Merry Christmas to the rest . . . just trying p.c.

I honestly couldn't careless if they say one or the other!
    BridgetC140

Answer by BridgetC140 at 1:07 AM on Dec. 20, 2009

• I dont like it when people say merry christmas because i am wiccan and i dont celebrate xmas. i celebrate Yule. i dont like people assuming im christian or catholic. even if your nice and a cool person, it doesnt matter. it makes me mad lol. but i dont say shit cuz i wont see you again!!!!!
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 1:23 AM on Dec. 20, 2009