Breastfeeding and Teething

My 3 month old is teething really badly and I think sucking is making it hurt because he keeps latching, one-two sucks, spit out the breast and then start all over again. I have tried tylenol, anbesol, letting him chew on things (cold cloth, frozen waffle, teething toy etc) he's hungry and getting frustrated and I'm getting frustrated too! Anything I can do to help him stay latched on???

MammaMcC

Asked by MammaMcC at 11:00 PM on Dec. 19, 2009 in Babies (0-12 months)

• My son is doing the exact same thing. He will suck for 2 seconds, unlatch, and then come back again. He is teething as well. I read somewhere though that they do this not because of teething but because they are becoming more aware of their surroundings and are stopping to look around or because something caught their attention. I have put my hand by his eyes a few times so he can't see other things going on in the room and this usually keeps him focused on eating for a longer period of time.
    Ash9724

Answer by Ash9724 at 11:03 PM on Dec. 19, 2009

• 1st, express a little first to make the breast softer and more easy to accept. also, use a drop of liquid benadryl on his gums (sounds weird, but by golly, it works! i just cut wisdom teeth and used it myself!)... be patient, be patient, be patient. it does hurt to nurse when you're teething, but it won't last too long. try using one of the vibrating teething toys before you nurse- kind of temporarily numbs it.
    ObbyDobbie

Answer by ObbyDobbie at 11:11 PM on Dec. 19, 2009

• Sounds like a growth spurt. The latch, unlatch, relatch is growth spurt behavior. Just keep working with him.
    LeanneC

Answer by LeanneC at 11:23 PM on Dec. 19, 2009

• Teething tablets are a wonderful thing they work a lot better than anything else and it relieves the sucking issue. Highlands teething tablets you find them with vitamins or in the natural foods section.
    truealaskanmom

Answer by truealaskanmom at 12:37 AM on Dec. 20, 2009

• I use clove oil with my babies, it works wonders!
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 1:07 AM on Dec. 20, 2009