My son will only sleep on his belly and everyone keeps teling me that he could die of sids but he wont leep on his side or back what should i do

missashoo

Asked by missashoo at 11:07 PM on Dec. 19, 2009 in Babies (0-12 months)

• if he is old enough to roll over on his own, there is nothing you CAN do, and you should not worry about it.
    ObbyDobbie

Answer by ObbyDobbie at 11:08 PM on Dec. 19, 2009

• i agree. just make sure you watch him and there aren't any pillows or blankets near his face. if you are worried about sids then i would keep trying to get him to sleep on his side or back.
    Anonymous

• I agree with the PP. Just keep an eye on him since he is on his tummy.
    mom2BOYZnDad

Answer by mom2BOYZnDad at 11:13 PM on Dec. 19, 2009

• Make sure the crib is clear so there's nothing for him to suffocate in. No blankets, just sleepers. My son also was a tummy sleeper... which (and I'm a little afraid to get burned on this) I let him do from the time he was 5 days old on. The recommendation for how a baby sleeps has changed repeatedly. I just did everything I could to make sure he couldn't suffocate himself on anything.
    IrishMommaC

Answer by IrishMommaC at 11:14 PM on Dec. 19, 2009

• My son slept on his belly from day 4. He was really gassy and that was the only way he would sleep. Like everyone else said, keep the crib clear of everything and he'll be fine. I'm sure you slept on your tummy when you were little and look at you now!! In a few years they'll say that you shouldn't sleep babies on their backs......and to put cereal in the baby's bottle.

:)
    Born2BAMommy5

Answer by Born2BAMommy5 at 11:21 PM on Dec. 19, 2009

• My 2nd daughter always slept on her belly or sides. I think there is more of a chance of the child passing away from vaccine related SIDS than this.
    Anonymous

• they always change the way babies are supposed to sleep. when i was a kid they said you could sleep with the liners around your crib and pillows. i was perfectly fine though. i would just keep an eye on him.
    xavierlogan09

Answer by xavierlogan09 at 11:24 PM on Dec. 19, 2009

• This is the advice to go by. It is what they tell you to tell your patients when you are in medical school. Put the baby to sleep on their backs. If they roll over during the night on their own leave them alone. If you flip them back over every single time you will go crazy worrying about them being on their tummy. If you are truly concerned buy an angel monitor that sounds an alarm if your child stops breathing. That will ease your anxiety and you both can get a good nights rest.
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 12:06 AM on Dec. 20, 2009

Oh for God's sake vaccines save lives. If you don't believe it go to Africa. I'm so glad my child won't live her life with out limbs because I was too stupid to vax her.
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 12:13 AM on Dec. 20, 2009

• When a baby coughs up spew-age and doesn't turn their head to the side to spit it out its choking. Now I have been taught and believe this happens most frequently on the back!!! This is because a baby does not have an automatic mechanism to tell them they're choking and need to turn their head to the side to spit it out. The best position for the baby to sleep is on its side. You can get side sleeping cylinders from any where that carries baby products. Some babies just naturally are tummy sleepers. Again the best way to prevent SIDS is by not having anything in or around (this includes shelves that could be above the crib)the crib that can fall on their face and potentially suffocate them(no stuffed animals, pillows, blankets, anything plush or foldable, anything that can block the nasal passage). You could also roll up swaddling blankets and place one in front and one in the back of the baby make sure they're below rib cage
    ladyd6280

Answer by ladyd6280 at 12:25 AM on Dec. 20, 2009