in a couple of days i will be flying to california with my 2 months old.. im not sure what i should do about her ears popping and im worried shes going to be fussy the whole time.. any advise?

Smashbunni

Asked by Smashbunni at 11:52 PM on Dec. 19, 2009 in Babies (0-12 months)

• if she takes the binky use that...if not then feed her while going up and then when going down, it will help her ears. more than likely she'll sleep the whole way, she won't feel anything. GL!
    armywife43

Answer by armywife43 at 11:54 PM on Dec. 19, 2009

• What armywife posted above is the best way to go. We went on a plane when my son was 6 months old, he had his pacifier when we were going up and thankfully he was asleep in a short amount of time. He woke up as we were getting ready to land and we again gave him his pacifier and he was fine.
    Cappy1979

Answer by Cappy1979 at 12:01 AM on Dec. 20, 2009

• I have flown probably 30 times with my four year old. He was 6 weeks old the first time. I never once have had issues and my son is very hyper. The high altitude naturally makes them very sleepy. Expect a long nap from your little one. Make sure that the baby is sucking at when going up and coming down. Give them a bottle/paci/breast a few minutes before you take off so that if the baby refuses it you have a second to get them sucking. It is the same concept as you chewing gum. Make sure the baby is not asleep when you take off or descend. My son was 3 when we made this mistake and he woke up wailing in pain as we landed the plane. If your baby cries it is not the end of the world. Make sure that you dress the baby in layers. It is often unpredictable temps in a plane. You will likely be a little warm or a little cold at some point so make sure you can take off or add layers during the flight.
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 12:10 AM on Dec. 20, 2009

• My dd was just 8 months when she went on her first plane ride and i was scared also!! (scared she was going to be the annoying baby). but she slept the whole plane ride. and on one plane ride she stayed up and just played peek-a-boo with the guy behind us. but GL because every child is different...there were about two other babies on the plane that cried the whole time!!!
    MoMMy2aDiVA08

Answer by MoMMy2aDiVA08 at 1:39 AM on Dec. 20, 2009

• Try not to feed them until right before you take off so that the baby will want to do the sucking motion and their ears will pop... good luck, i just flew with my 10 1/2 month old and it was kinda okay, except she got bored alot.. luckily 2 month olds are a lot less maintenance.
    Jan0609momma

Answer by Jan0609momma at 3:36 AM on Dec. 20, 2009

• The best thing to do is to feed during takeoff & landing - whether it's breast or bottle. It's better than using a pacifier because with feeding, they're actually swallowing, which is the more necessary part to keep the ears cleared - sucking on a pacifier they don't swallow often so the ears don't pop/clear as easily. I've flown a few times as an adult, and taking long, slow, small sips of a drink has always helped me more than chewing gum. If you're taking multiple flights, and she seems uncomfortable after the first one, there's no harm in giving her a little infants tylenol (.4mL I believe, ask your pharmacist for sure or doctor) about half an hour before take-off.
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 11:40 AM on Dec. 20, 2009