My neighbor is mentally retarted and.........

he is 15. I am not sure exactly what is wrong with him but anyhow........We have heard him outside cussing his mom and stuff (fine whatever floats their boat) BUT today We heard him go outside and say "im going to find that cat, bring me my shot gun" then "Ill do it mother f*cker" I am kinda worried that they might have a gun, and they live really close to me. Is that silly? what would you do?

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 12:02 AM on Dec. 20, 2009 in About CafeMom

• i would be scared too... he obv has a shot gun. thats a little scarey. i sure hope u stay in the house.. :( sorry hun
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 12:11 AM on Dec. 20, 2009

• hell no dont live in fear. call the cops! just 2 check
    preggyjackie21

Answer by preggyjackie21 at 12:15 AM on Dec. 20, 2009

• hmm...if you ever, EVER see him take out such a thing, call the cops, NOT acceptable no matter who you are!
    americansugar80

Answer by americansugar80 at 12:51 AM on Dec. 20, 2009

• I'm going to suggest you do something a little crazy (sarcasim) and go talk to his mom, be honest tell her you know there are issues and you would like to learn more about her son, explain your reasons be honest with her. The one thing parents of children with disabilities hate most are the people who make judgements based on 30 seconds of seeing or hearing something. My friend has a son with slight mental retadation and he seems a little off, she is always more than happy to talk to anyone with concerns or questions if it means educating them and making them feel more at ease around her son.

I am the same way I prefer that someone talk to me about my sons autism instead of making assumptions about what they are seeing.

This could be a case of a child who spouts off random things that are not based in reality, you just dont know till you ask.
    3_ring_circus_

Answer by 3_ring_circus_ at 1:39 AM on Dec. 20, 2009

• you should call the mom and tell her your concerns. if she tells you she has a gun and you hear him make that threath again call the police----any responsible mother with a disabled child would be willing to put your worries to rest--and would never allow access to a weapon. also, he could just be acting out. what your worried about is because you don't know--find out you owe that to your own family. i have a disabled child and would much rather someone ask me about it than talk behind my back or worry.
    ohio4

Answer by ohio4 at 2:09 AM on Dec. 20, 2009

• Talk to the mom about it. He could just be quoting lines from a movie or tv show he's seen, I've worked with lots of students who do that.
    canadianmom1974

Answer by canadianmom1974 at 3:33 AM on Dec. 20, 2009