Your experience with being induced...?

If you have been induced, what is your experience with methods used on you?

I am being induced on Monday at 41 weeks, 2 days. My doctor said he will be using Cervidil. I have been dilated at 3cm and very thinned out for over a week and a half.

Any suggestions, tips or thoughts on this process or any other induction process?

This is my first child and I know nothing about child birth or the induction process.

fmaziarz

Asked by fmaziarz at 12:15 AM on Dec. 20, 2009 in Pregnancy

• I was induced with my son. It really is a very simple procedure. Will you be having the child natural or C-section?
    I slept thur my contractions if that tells you anything
    ronjwake

Answer by ronjwake at 12:19 AM on Dec. 20, 2009

• I was induced with cervadil, and they only waited 10 hours for me to dialate and I didn't, but I was at 1 when they did it. They thing that sucks is that you have to stay still so you don't lose the meds, and walking is proven to help dilate faster, I know it sucks but if there is no danger I would wait a little while longer to go into labor on your own. I had a traumatizing c-sec so try to avoid being induced too soon it can easily turn into a bad thing
    truealaskanmom

Answer by truealaskanmom at 12:22 AM on Dec. 20, 2009

• My doctor is strict catholic, does not prescribe birth control or do tubal ligations and only practices natural family planning. He does not do c-sections nor induce unless it's absolutely necessary. The same goes for episiotomies. I am working into the 42nd week of pregnancy so that's why I'm being induced. There are chances of problems arising when a pregnancy goes for so long. I didn't fight that he wanted to induce me, because I can see a point to it. I'd rather not birth a large baby naturally, I don't want my kid marinating in meconium, and I don't want an infection in my uterus. I think he's trying to help me prevent a c-section as well. He usually only lets women get to 41 weeks, but I was 41 weeks on Saturday, so he couldn't induce me on the weekend. I have had to keep getting NSTs done to check on my son and it's really irritating. I just hope I'm not in labor forever on Monday or into Tuesday.
    fmaziarz

Answer by fmaziarz at 12:32 AM on Dec. 20, 2009

• I had to be induced because she plan refused to come out., it also being my first pregnancy I hated it and was scared beyond belief. IT WAS THE MOST RELAXING LABOR EVER. Hubby and I drove to the hospital the night before stopped at arby's checked in joked with the nurses. They insert the cervidel and it didn't do ANYTHING but give me light annoying cramps so ask if he'll skip that part just go straight to pitocin cause trust me they'll be doing it later..... They started pit at 9 am and Miss Emma Grace was born at 4:49. The contractions are HARD but if you get the epidural you'll be fine. I slept and watched tv the whole time and 4 pushes she was out.
    Jillybeans24

Answer by Jillybeans24 at 12:44 AM on Dec. 20, 2009

• When i was induced they tried lots of things to get me to dilate including the Cervidil, pitocin, and putting a catheter balloon inside my cervix and blowing it up to 4 cm and taping it to the inside of my leg so it would pull down on my cervix (apparently my dr is Macgyver) Anyways after 45 1/2 hours i had a c section, but i was only 37 weeks. Good luck to you, and don't let anyone's story scare you since everyone's labor and delivery are different!
    teresalangston

Answer by teresalangston at 12:47 AM on Dec. 20, 2009

• I was in labor for a total of 36 hours with my son. They induced me at 6 am on Wed and I had him at 5:48pm on Thur.
    It was not a horrible thing really, they gave me pain meds, so I slept thru most all of it. However, my water broke on Thur moning and they had to do an emergency C-section that night. However, I did try to push him out and his head got stuck in the birth cannal, that is why they had to do the C-section as well as my water had broken many hours before hand. AFTER I had my son they realized I could not have him natural, my pelvic area was not big enough. That was over 14 years ago, so there is much more knowledge then there was then. But overall, it wasn't that bad of an experience.
    ronjwake

Answer by ronjwake at 12:52 AM on Dec. 20, 2009

• I didn't have a great experience, but I wasn't as far along as you, and mine was started differently. I went in at 5pm, and they put in a foley bulb, and gave me an ambien. At 4am, they started my pitocin. They just kept ramping it up until my contractions didn't stop, except for 15 seconds in between my 2.5-3 minute contractions. Sounds like transition or the part right before labor, right? Noooooo, I was 4 cm at that point. I got an epidural, which I didn't want. It helped, since they screwed up my pitocin so bad. Had her at 3ish that day. My epidural was so strong that when they laid her on the table, I wasn't even aware I had a baby. Worst experience ever. I was induced at 40 weeks and 5 days. Ridiculous. Baby was "9 pounds." More like 7 pounds 7 ounces. With my second I went naturally at 41 weeks. Great experience.
    apexmommy

Answer by apexmommy at 1:13 AM on Dec. 20, 2009

• Just keep in mind that due dates can often times be wrong and you may not be that far over, and you could go into labor naturally the day after your inducement date you don't know. If I was you I would walk around and squat, and try to put off being induced a few more days our bodies are made to give birth let it do its job. I have done more research on this because of my previous experience try try try to go into labor on your own too many inductions turn into c-sections.
    truealaskanmom

Answer by truealaskanmom at 1:40 AM on Dec. 20, 2009

• I was induced twice. The first time, I had cervical gel for a while, which made for great contractions but almost no progress, then Pitocin, which was a lot better. The second time, I didn't want to waste the time on the cervical gel so we skipped it and just did Pitocin. Everyone handles it differently, but for me, the Pitocin wasn't bad at all. My labors weren't very painful. I did a lot of walking with both, stopping by my room for 10 minutes every half hour or so to monitor the baby. With my second labor, they reduced the Pitocin in the middle of the night so I could get some rest. I had my husband run out to Steak-n-Shake for soup, a turkey sandwich, a double sourdough melt, and a strawberry cheesecake milkshake. I slept for 2 or 3 hours, they increased the Pit, and I delivered. My inductions were long, but a lot easier than I was expecting.
    JulieJacobKyle

Answer by JulieJacobKyle at 2:14 AM on Dec. 20, 2009

• BTW I'm sure the reason my labors were so long was that I was before my due date. Around 38 weeks the first time and 36 weeks the second time.
    JulieJacobKyle

Answer by JulieJacobKyle at 2:15 AM on Dec. 20, 2009