Is a broken tooth an "emergency?"

My Medical (I live in California) will only pay for dental emergencies now. I broke a tooth in the back of my mouth. Is that considered an emergency? I don't know what else to do about the tooth if its not. I don't have money to pay a dental bill.

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 1:23 AM on Dec. 20, 2009 in Health

• I would call your dentist (or a local dentist that accepts medical) and ask them if a broken tooth is considered a dental emergency.
    aubrianasangel

Answer by aubrianasangel at 2:09 AM on Dec. 20, 2009

• dental emergency will be defined by your insurance.
    go to a dentist and have them call ur insurance or medical to see if this is classified as an emergency.
    Good Luck
    DomoniqueWS

Answer by DomoniqueWS at 1:26 AM on Dec. 20, 2009

• i live in arizona and my sister in law has the same thing with her insurance. her back teeth are literally falling apart and they won't fix them. once they get bad enough they'll only pull them out of her mouth. invest in better dental.
    flaggot13

Answer by flaggot13 at 2:01 AM on Dec. 20, 2009

• I have a broken tooth and it's not considered an emergency. But if you are in pain or if it's infected I would call a dentist.
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 5:33 AM on Dec. 20, 2009

• My DD broke 2 of her front teeth in school a while back. She's on medicaid. The school called me as soon as it happened, and I called the dentist right after. She went in after school (about 2 hours after they broke) and they fixed them, did x-rays, the whole shebang, right then and there. The dentist said she should be covered, she didn't see any reason it wouldn't be. But we're not in your part of the US either, so Idk if that makes a difference. They (medicaid) cover pretty much everything non-cosmetic here, unless things have changed in the last couple of years. I'd personally think a broken tooth would be an emergency, especially if you're in pain.
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 11:25 AM on Dec. 20, 2009