Pain during sex postpartum

I just had my 6 week post partum doctor's appointment. My doctor said I looked great and gave the ok for my husband and I to have intercourse (yes, I actually waited!)
So, that day we did and it was sooooo painful. We did again the next day and it was painful again.
I dont know if its because it has been so long since we've had sex (6 weeks) or because the delivery doctor stiched me up tighter than I was before or why it's painful, but it is.
Has anyone experienced this?
I'm pretty distraught about this because I dont want this to be the future for my husband's and my sex life...

Munchkin09

Asked by Munchkin09 at 4:06 AM on Dec. 20, 2009 in Babies (0-12 months)

• I wouldn't be concerned yet. It was painful for a few times for me too... I would identify what type of pain it is. My pain was weird and freaky. like stabbing needles. then go slow.. I went very slow and just sexed past the pain...
    MoMoFu

Answer by MoMoFu at 4:15 AM on Dec. 20, 2009

• Very normal considering what you just went through. I had pain for about 1 month after both of mine. If you are nursing that can effect it too because of the hormones from that. After a month things were fine. Just take things really slow and let hubby know about the pain and what he can do to help (different positions etc).
    aeneva

Answer by aeneva at 9:12 AM on Dec. 20, 2009

• It'll take a little time before everything is back to normal down there.
    Krysta622

Answer by Krysta622 at 10:51 AM on Dec. 20, 2009

• I had a c section so no stitches down there, but its normal, your still sore and everything is still healing...
    Jan0609momma

Answer by Jan0609momma at 1:48 PM on Dec. 20, 2009

• Use a lot of lube until things relax and get back to normal

Answer by admckenzie at 2:16 PM on Dec. 20, 2009

• I still have a little discomort and I am three months postpartum. I agree with the previous poster lube helps a lot.
    Anonymous