How much more should I charge his mom? part 2

She called and said she's comming, but its going to take her a while. He hasn't had any of his ADHD medicine since Friday. He's been here since friday at 6. DH said to ask her for another $30. He eats a lot so I don't know.

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 8:19 AM on Dec. 20, 2009 in Money & Work

• I'd ask for alot more than another 30.

maxswolfsuit

Answer by maxswolfsuit at 8:23 AM on Dec. 20, 2009

• Like what? Hes here 5 days a week. 3 days from 6pm to 7:30am and 2 days from 10pm to 7:30am. He ate 5 bowls of food last night. he just ate all day long. I usually charge her $100 a week
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 8:28 AM on Dec. 20, 2009

• Twice the amount for not only the meals but the inconvenience of you and your husband of plans you might have had.

Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 8:35 AM on Dec. 20, 2009

• You explained in your other post that she is a nurse. If you mean RN she can afford to pay a lot more. Forget the food, your time care is what is important. When you talk about food it sounds cheap, like you don't want to feed a child you babysit for whose mother can't get to your house because of a snowstorm.

I think $10 an hour is reasonable. Merry Christmas for you. You deserve it. If she was working she would expect to be paid.
    Gailll

Answer by Gailll at 8:50 AM on Dec. 20, 2009

• agree with pp, 30 isn't enough, if it were my sitter (and it wouldn't be, bc i would FIND a way to get my son) i would OFFER her double or just pay what she asks.
    angevil53

Answer by angevil53 at 9:15 AM on Dec. 20, 2009

• So wait a sec - she left him there one extra day?

Here's the "fairest" way to handle the situation - figure out the total # of hours he's normally there. Divide the $100 by that. Now you have your "hourly rate".

Charge her that plus at least 10% extra for each hour he was left there.

And if she was physically able to come get him and just didn't want to...I'd be considering a call to CPS personally - who leaves their child with the babysitter an extra day without their medication?? That's kinda crappy parenting IMHO.
    beachmamaof2

Answer by beachmamaof2 at 9:58 AM on Dec. 20, 2009

• Hopefully it's not too late but here I did the math for you - now see you charge an absurdly low price for childcare; but I'm assuming that's because most of the time the child is sleeping; correct?

So in that case I'm revising my earlier statement. By what you said I'm getting that he is there a total of 59.5hrs/wk for which you get $100 = $1.68/hr.

So personally I would charge her at least double that per hour for the time he was there. Because not only was in last minute no warning; but he was awake and needing to be entertained and watched more than a sleeping child; AND he was without his medications which made that care more complicated.
    beachmamaof2

Answer by beachmamaof2 at 10:03 AM on Dec. 20, 2009

• She just came for him just now, I just don't want her to look at me like I'm crazy for giving her a crazy amount. I think I'm gonna ask her for $75 more.
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 10:12 AM on Dec. 20, 2009

• While I think what she did leaving him there was wrong; she's going to look at you like you are crazy for charging her 3/4 of a week for 1.5 days!
    Anonymous

• minimum wage is 7.25 an hour. She would want to get paid if she had to work an extra 11 hours. She'd probably want to get time and a half! You're bieng too nice with the $1.68 per hour thing whether he's sleep or not. $7.25x11 is $79.75. He wasn't asleep. I think you're worth minimum wage. Explain that to her when you ask for your $75.
    Anonymous